Thread: Intensive Rehabilitation Centers?

Question Intensive Rehabilitation Centers?

Hi there. I'm looking for information about intensive rehab facilities, preferably on the US East Coast. I care for my best friend who is a complete C5-6 of almost three years. He is at the point where he desperately wants to be able to do more in terms of recovery work, however where we are located there aren't any real resources. Any one have any ideas or suggestions for us?

Thanks,
    Liz

Where on the east coast? There's Journey Forward, in Boston, Diven Darren has a project walk set up in New Jersey. Look for him here, than there's Kennedy Kreiger down in Washington. These are good starts

an intensive rehab - rehab institute of michigan

Shake a Leg in Newport, RI
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

shake a leg does not seem like that a good a place
    decent, but does not seem on par with project walk

confidence for people with sci...pay a place so they teach you how fun it is to be sci??? makes sense?

Spaulding Rehab Hospital in Boston? Not sure what you mean by intensive rehab, but they are very good at helping people maximize independence.

Shake is not intended to be a place like PW or other exercise based facilities. It's a short 4 week or so summer program in a really beautiful part of the northeast. Recreational exercise/adaptive sports, PT and OT are all components, but my understanding is that their program is really ideal for someone between 1-3 years post injury (but obviously not limited to that) who can benefit from being around peers while being exposed to other possibilities out there for living with SCI in general. Not necessarily focused toward recovery, more like being as fully healthy and involved as you can be. I understand many would like to just focus on recovering, but life is still going to happen in the 'in-between' time. I believe Shake tries to expose people to ways of making that better.
    What's nice about the exercise based facilities is that they create a similar community where you are around others who are working towards similar goals. Friends are made, resources are shared and you're exposed to new things. It's just not in a neat 4 week package.

my vote goes to SCI-Step in Ohio...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Quote Originally Posted by freedomdan
    shake a leg does not seem like that a good a place
    decent, but does not seem on par with project walk

confidence for people with sci...pay a place so they teach you how fun it is to be sci??? makes sense?
    I did the five-week body awareness program at Shake a Leg in 2003. I was not lacking confidence. I learned so much from the staff and other wheelers. Newport is also a beautiful town and being there was like being in college.

It's a short program and you won't get done what you want during its time, but it just may teach you a good way to go forward.
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

I think what you are asking for is a post-acute SCI intensive exercise program. They are not really rehab programs. They do not offer the full range of services needed or offered in the initial acute rehab program, and none are accredited as rehab programs by CARF.

(KLD)