Thread: Scars

Scars

Whats good to put on a scar. I recently burned my wrist and its healed up but with my skin coloring (native american) any type of burn or blemish I happen to do the discoloration is always very noticeable. I have tons of scars most pre-sci and most are always hidden but this scar is on my wrist and is about the size of a quarter, its so dark it looks like a bruise but its not. Are there any creams out there that work better than what I can get in a drugstore or do those work just as well. TIA

Melasma

See a dermatologist. There is a skin disorder where areas of the skin turns a darker brown called melasma. Sunlight amplifies this condition. They have a bleaching cream that can get rid of it. The doctor can give you a 1oz sample tube that can probably get rid of it. Keep the area away from sunlight and use UV protection on it.

titanium4motion

the Neosporin scar sheets(or CVS equivalent) work well to reduce scars...They're a little thick so might be a little difficult on your wrist but it's worth trying...They did WONDERFUL on my nasty scars on my back... reminds me I need to use 'em again and try to get rid of the last bit of scar...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Try "Mederma". I think that's how it's spelled. I use it for my scars (I too am dark complected due to my spanish roots), and I also use it on my son. He got hit in the face/eye earlier this summer with an aluminum baseball bat and ended up with 7 stitches, vertically, from his forehead down to his eye. This cream works great and takes a lot of the discoloration out of the scar. You should be able to find it in the pharmacy. Good luck!
    Live Every Day Like It's Your Last!

C3-C4 and T12-L1 since July 1988

None of that crap works ppl. You need to see a dermatologist and get microderm abrasion, a skin peel and possibly laser.. My derma. worked her magic on both of my tendon transfer scars.. they're 6-8'' long on each arm and no one ever notices..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    None of that crap works ppl. You need to see a dermatologist and get microderm abrasion, a skin peel and possibly laser.. My derma. worked her magic on both of my tendon transfer scars.. they're 6-8'' long on each arm and no one ever notices..
    Jeff, do you have any pics of your scars and how many procedures did it take to get the results where it wasn't noticeable.

thanks everyone for the replies, i'll check out some of the suggestions. but i'll definitely look into seeing a dermatologist .

No, I don't any pics but if I remember tomorrow I'll snap some. It took quite a few times doing the micro, but did a skin peel once and a few laser treatments. Fortunately my derma. is a good friend and she didn't charge so I'm not sure how much it would've been. Your area shouldn't be too bad.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    No, I don't any pics but if I remember tomorrow I'll snap some. It took quite a few times doing the micro, but did a skin peel once and a few laser treatments. Fortunately my derma. is a good friend and she didn't charge so I'm not sure how much it would've been. Your area shouldn't be too bad.
    Thanks, were your scars raised? mine aren't raised just dark, I just need to lighten em up so it doesn't look too funky.

At 1st they were but we waited a few weeks after surgery to begin and now they're not.