Thread: SSDI Voc Rehab ?

SSDI Voc Rehab ?

Ok here I go again. Some of you know my situation. I am trying to keep my SSDI check. My trial work period is up and they say they are taking my check in September. I only work part time. I am going to school through voc rehab. I found this in the redbook. It reads that your payments may not stop if you are on a VR program. The lady in charge of my case says no this only applies to medical benefits, not the actual check. Does anyone else read this as the check can continue? It says in bold Payment but she can't see that. Who can I talk to? Everytime I call they give me the same lady who won't budge. Anyone out there know about this?

From the Redbook :

Continued Payment under a Vocational Rehabilitation Program or Similar Program (Section 301) (SSDI and SSI eligible)

How do I qualify for continued payment?If we find that you no longer have a disabling impairment due to medical improvement, your benefit payments usually stop. However, if you are participating in an appropriate program of vocational rehabilitation services or similar services, your benefits may continue until your participation in the program ends.What is an appropriate program of vocational rehabilitation or similar services?An appropriate program must be approved by us and includes:

• The Ticket to Work
    • A Vocational Rehabilitation Agency using an individualized plan for employment
    • Support services using an individualized written employment plan
    • A Plan to Achieve Self-Support
    • An individualized education program for an individual age 18 through 21
    How long may my benefits continue?Under Section 301, your benefits may continue until you either:

• Complete your program; or
    • Your participation in the program stops; or
    • We decide that your continued participation in the program will not increase the likelihood of your permanent removal from the disability benefit rolls.
    How do I qualify for Section 301?To qualify for Section 301:

• You must be participating in an appropriate program of vocational rehabilitation or similar services that began before your disability ends under our rules; and
    • We must review the situation and decide that your continued participation in the program will increase the likelihood of your permanent removal from the disability benefit rolls.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Addie, no help here, but I read it the same as you do. Can you ask to talk to her supervisor? Have you discussed this with you voc rehab counselor?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue

Ok here I go again. Some of you know my situation. I am trying to keep my SSDI check. My trial work period is up and they say they are taking my check in September. I only work part time. I am going to school through voc rehab. I found this in the redbook. It reads that your payments may not stop if you are on a VR program. The lady in charge of my case says no this only applies to medical benefits, not the actual check. Does anyone else read this as the check can continue? It says in bold Payment but she can't see that. Who can I talk to? Everytime I call they give me the same lady who won't budge. Anyone out there know about this?
    The problem most of us have helping you with Vocational Rehabilitation Program is it varies from state to state. The fed funds these programs but the state implements them.

This said you do have the right to appeal the decision. This is a serious situation and may be to your advantage to consult a lawyer. If a lawyer if out of the question there should be a state ombudsman person available for consideration. And of course contact you officials Senators and members of congress at both the state and federal level. You are your best advocate, get to writing letters, and make as much a stink as possible to achieve your rights.

Remember your case worker works for the government and is there to help you. (One of the three biggest lies told)
    T6 complete

C, call the Shepherd Center and get a 2nd opinion.. 404-350-7597, direct line for Vocational Services. Good luck.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

C, Jeff is spot on with calling Shepherd.

I'm reading what you posted the same as you, but I'm not with SSA or VR.

I hope this works to your advantage and you get to keep all benefits.

Voc rehab has NO clue. I have a plan in place with them but getting it through to SS is another story. My voc rehab person didn't even know you only had 9 months to work. Seriously the guys an idiot. I went today. He had to have a calculator to tell him what 13 x 20 is. He's in training so I guess he was stressed. However his supervisor was there, she had no idea about SSDI and she went looking for the calculator.

I called Shepherd a few days ago. The guy there is gone until tomorrow.

It gets so annoying to have to fight and wade through every little thing between insurance and social security.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

In case anyone needs to know section 301 is BS

How do I qualify for continued payment? If we find that you no longer have a disabling impairment due to medical improvement, your benefit payments usually stop. However, if you are participating in an appropriate program of vocational rehabilitation services or similar services, your benefits may continue until your participation in the program ends...
    Basically it menas that if you have a medical improvement, or I wake up tomorrow and no longer have an SCI, I can keep my benefits as long as I am on a Voc Rehab plan. However if you are earning anything too bad, sci or not, they are taking your check. So you can get benefits if you are not disabled anymore if you are with voc rehab. Now how stupid is that.

addie, how about work related expenses that get you under SGA? for me that included transportation, help i needed at home, assistive devices (out of pocket wheelchair expenses, for example), etc.

I live 2 miles from work and am healthy (thankfully) I only have one script a month. I'm trying to convince them an emergency cell phone is an expense. I've been digging around trust me.