Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: quadriplegic musicians?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Dang Crash, incredible stuff, love the jazz Foggy Day. It's been on my list to learn on the tenor uke. I love playing the uke from a chair, so much easier than a guitar.

Speaking of ukes, I'm having a custom being done as we speak. gonna be really special and will post it when it's done in a couple of months. Body will be Milo in honor of the Hawaiian Natives and Bearclaw Spruce Top in honor of the Great Mother from my Native heritage.

Way to go on the flute Max, I've made a lot of them and still do once in a while. Lots of dust but sue worth it when that first note is played. I'm playing a walnut in F lately when I sage in the mornings.
    you're having one made? oh how about that?
    Im thinking of getting a kit and making one.
    Iv wanted a mainland uke since I first tried one though. Mango wood.

Hey Jody, yeah Mainlands are probably the best out there in that price range. I have a friend who just got a concert cedar top/ rosewood sides and back from them. If you decide,go thru Uke republic as Mike personally does the setup to ensure it's right. A good setup is really critical.

Boy, kit ukes are really a challenge, don't bother getting one from Grizzly as they are really faunky; would be better to get a used one unless you really want to try making one.

This will be my third custom. All three from a 80yr old man making them close to where I live, Griffinukuleles.com. You can see my Pinecone concert in his available instruments section #36. I'll probably be selling it as I much prefer tenors and baritones.

I also have a 46-53 Favilla baritone '63 Martin bari and a Webber baritone along with a Kala Ubass. The Ubass is a blast to play.

This new build is being done by Chuck Moore of moorebettahukes.com.

Am having an inlay done of two eagle feathers in honor of a spirit guide who showed up when I was four or five sitting on Mt. Jumbo in Missoula, Montana. I've had numerous readings in my life and was told by more than one that there was a native standing at my right side wearing two feathers in his hair. I heard his voice as I was flying thru the air on the motorcycle stunt I was injured on telling me everything was going to be okay; he was right. I was injured 40 years ago today, so has been a surreal day and feel Two Feathers by my side as I type. My native grandmother felt it was her grandfather as that is how she remembered him when she was young.

Also having the imprint of a grizzly bearpaw done on the end of the fretboard to signify, strength dignity and perserverance; it's what it represents in my Lakota heritage on my dad's side.

"Two Feathers" is in honor of my turning 65, 55 years playing stringed instruments and 40 years in a chair. I want this instrument carried on thru the family pickers for generations to come.

I'm not sure if you go to the uke sites but Ukulele Underground is probably the best one out there.

I feel blessed finding the uke as it brought music back into my life; playing like I did back in the Hollywood days in the '60's.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 06-21-2013 at 11:44 AM.

patrick and jody, thanks for the good words, i'll try to post more jazz tunes in the future.
    good luck with your ukes, those sound like fun.

A bit of seasonal music for CC and the holidaze: https://youtu.be/Ohd8Am-01Tw

That was really nice Crash.. What size harp is that? Looks like it would be a soprano if the have soprano harps.

Looks like an Irish harp.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thank you, Patrick ; ). Are you playing your ukeleles lately? I remember you had some hand or wrist surgery not long ago,
    I hope you're recovering nicely.
    Yes, that harp could be called a soprano harp--it's a lap harp, but I play it on a table. That particular harp has two rows of strings,
    a diatonic row ( like the white keys on a piano) and a chromatic row (piano's black keys notes) so I can play music with both sharps and flats.
    I started playing a long time ago on a small harp with only one row of strings, about six months after my C5 SCI incomplete injury and
    I could only use my right index finger, but I saw Harpo Marx playing a melody using only his right index finger on harp and I thought that harp would be a lot more fun for finger exercises than what I was attempting to do at OT sessions. I think that a small tabletop harps could be great tools for helping incomplete quad SCI and stroke patients, because you get instant feedback, reward and you have built in motivation to keep going so as to play a tune.
    If a small, flat based harp could be firmly fixed to the table, the person could plant their elbows on either side of harp and if needed, use support slings for their wrists to lower the arm/finger to the string, place fingertip and pull back on string, and play a note with very little strength. Making music is a most rewarding pursuit, as you know well. I tried to persuade some Occupational Therapists to look at the benefits, but they thought there would be too many hurdles with tuning the harp, studying music themselves. If anyone on CC is interested in knowing more about using the harp for increasing hand function, I will be happy to try give some helpful information. I know that I got more return of hand function in both hands than I would have otherwise simply because I became hooked on playing and I kept practicing daily and pushing further, which I probably wouldn't have done had I only had my frustrating OT exercises to work with. Maybe OT is more interesting now than it used to be, but I couldn't crumple the paper or push cans around on a table top or make my fingers pull little attached weights and I was not motivated to work at it until I found something that really engaged my interest and gave me an instant feedback of a note sounding.

It's a modern version of a Baroque era Spanish cross-strung (chromatic) harp, but I do also play the single row diatonic Irish harp.

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    How neat! One could easily watch that and not realize you are a quad.
    chair user since 2009 from a neurological disorder

Incomplete quad. Here’s another one, you can see how I extend my wrist so that my fingers fall forward onto the strings:
    https://youtu.be/3s0k8J7y3es