Thread: pants size question

pants size question

i was a 32" waise before my injury n i have lost alot of weight since. i can no longer fit them, do i go 31" or 30"?? i havent got much of a gut too....im goin shopping for new jeans/pants. any ideas??..so wen i transfer in my 32" jeans they just slip right off ..
    The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

Wear the type, and brand if you can, that you want to buy. Wash and dry them right before going shopping so they are not stretched out. Head for the suit department. You need measured for around waist and then front waist to crotch and then same up the back to the waist again. Forget what that measurement is called. Might also find out if, besides hemming to hide anything you want hidden if they will remove back pockets. If you get them removed before wearing no will know after 2 or 3 washings.

Never wear elastic waist pants for too long at a time. You gain weight and don't notice until it's too late.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton
    Wear the type, and brand if you can, that you want to buy. Wash and dry them right before going shopping so they are not stretched out. Head for the suit department. You need measured for around waist and then front waist to crotch and then same up the back to the waist again. Forget what that measurement is called. Might also find out if, besides hemming to hide anything you want hidden if they will remove back pockets. If you get them removed before wearing no will know after 2 or 3 washings.

Never wear elastic waist pants for too long at a time. You gain weight and don't notice until it's too late.
    just to make sure..your saying go n buy watever size but probably round 32, 31? n then go to the suit store so they can alter it according to their measurements? hemming??

hav u ever tot of wearin a belt? this way u can still wear ur old pants

Just buy a size or 2 smaller than what fit you before, then try on when you get home. If too big or small, just return or exchange for the size you need. Just best estimate, but know that some brands might size things differently, tho this may be more the case with female clothing.

It can be more difficult to put on if too fitted, so may need a size a little bigger than expected for your body, but you'll figure out what's easiest for you once you try it. Also, even if seeming a bit baggy laying down, it may feel/fit tighter once sitting. Like aaron said, if pants fit everywhere but the waist, then just wear a belt to help hold pants up while transferring.

You may need to consider the method you maintain bladder, eg. wearing indwelling or SP with a leg bag, or intermittent cathing. If wearing a leg bag, make sure your pants arent too tight, so catheters and tubings do not get kinked, and you will need a bit of room to allow bag to fill up/expand. If intermittent cathing, you may want or need a bit of 'give' in your waist, to make (un)buttoning easier, but this may also depend upon how functional your hands are.

Just buy at stores with good return policy.
    Last edited by chick; 07-15-2008 at 02:49 AM.

being a quad its quite hard to put on/take off when cathing..i would rather find something that would fit which would save me the trouble

If you can find them, I have a pair of Carhartt pants that I love (I don't remember the style). They have an extra long zipper which makes cathing a lot easier.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Quote Originally Posted by ~McLovin~
    just to make sure..your saying go n buy watever size but probably round 32, 31? n then go to the suit store so they can alter it according to their measurements? hemming??
    Not exactly. If you like the jeans you're wearing now but they slide down when transferring you need a new size. So, the suits department has the guys who know how to measure and places like Nordstroms have professionals on staff and will not blush about discussing a longer length to cover leg bags, removing pockets to save your butt from pressure sores, etc. And the word I was looking for was rise.

So while wearing your fav jeans go get measured. Once measured ask the sales guy, get his name because they work on commission and will jump through hoops for you in the future, if you should stay in your current brand or try another. Then talk about alterations. If you can change clothes in their large changing rooms great and bring someone to help in case another brand might work better. Otherwise, buy the top 2 or 3 in sizes they suggest and try on at home. Take the winners back for alterations and return the rest.

Repeat the above for slacks/pants. Do mention if a belt seems to cure most of the problem because waistbands can be altered while leaving most the thigh and leg area alone.

I love Nordstroms because they have large changing rooms; don't blink when asked for serious measurement work, they'll call all over if you see something you like but their store doesn't have your size and when you need suits, for guys, they'll work at getting that jacket back shortened so it doesn't bunch up when you sit. More expensive? Normally but oh so worth clothes that fit. BTW, the suit deparment is just part of the mens area of Nordstroms. They sell jeans and casuals also so it's full service. Just want to clear that up.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.