Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cow Backpacks Trap Methane Gas

i save methane gas in my colo bag til i get near someone i love...or at the end of a long, not too long, line at the bank.....then vent everyone looks at me like i shit my pants but i don't care..i'm in a hurry dammit, getchoass outamyway...does that count as recycling?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley
    Domesticated ruminants have a vital role in sustainable human agricultural systems. They are able to digest grasses and legumes that are inedible to humans, but essential to the maintenance of soil fertility. The real cause for the skyrocketing of cattle numbers are inorganic fertilizers that enabled the plentiful production of grains and forages. These materials have destroyed the traditional livestock agricultural systems that have sustained humans for thousands of years. The end result has been soil erosion, water and air pollution and most sadly ironic, the blame of these problems on the very creatures that have been removed from their helpful roles roles and placed in polluting industrial environments.
    Wesley, I don't think that's what been happening here. It's been pretty clearly explained that the domesticated animals are the innocent bystanders in all this - aren't they always? I think we all have understood that we humans are the ones that have been making the bad decisions and messing with and messing up the global environment - isn't it always that way?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by justadildo
    i save methane gas in my colo bag til i get near someone i love...or at the end of a long, not too long, line at the bank.....then vent everyone looks at me like i shit my pants but i don't care..i'm in a hurry dammit, getchoass outamyway...does that count as recycling?
    Justa, you're just an irrepressible charmer.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Wesley, I don't think that's what been happening here. It's been pretty clearly explained that the domesticated animals are the innocent bystanders in all this - aren't they always? I think we all have understood that we humans are the ones that have been making the bad decisions and messing with and messing up the global environment - isn't it always that way?
    I think it was the end of Wise's article that got me charged up, where they suggest antibiotics or some kind of hand of God reduction of cattle numbers as a solution to methane pollution. Agriculture is a complex mix of human culture and the environment. I think there are a significant number of people who are trying to simplistically portray domestic livestock as environmental problems instead of stepping up and dealing with the complexity of the situation. It's typical our time when everything needs to be reduced to a soundbite.

There are a lot of people working with domestic animals in a conscientious and environmentally sound manner. Animal-less agriculture in many environments means big-time pollution and energy inefficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by justadildo
    Thats flat-out terrorism man! lol
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

I think it was one of the mad Max movies where they were using the methane gas from the livestock the cities. Why can't we put a roof over the cage livestock, collect the methane gas and burn it for energy and take this CO2 byproducts and find a way of breaking it back down into its-based elements of carbon and oxygen?
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Justa, you have the qualifications to join the cast of blazzing saddles

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley
    Domesticated ruminants have a vital role in sustainable human agricultural systems. They are able to digest grasses and legumes that are inedible to humans, but essential to the maintenance of soil fertility. The real cause for the skyrocketing of cattle numbers are inorganic fertilizers that enabled the plentiful production of grains and forages. These materials have destroyed the traditional livestock agricultural systems that have sustained humans for thousands of years. The end result has been soil erosion, water and air pollution and most sadly ironic, the blame of these problems on the very creatures that have been removed from their helpful roles roles and placed in polluting industrial environments.

it's great that people are becoming more conscious of the environmental impact of their diet. However, meat and dairy are great foods that humans have always highly valued. We've just gone through a phase where petrochemicals and breeding have made meat and dairy cheaper than they've ever been. That looks like it's going to change and these foods will become a smaller part of the world's diet because they will be too expensive. The same is happening with fish due to overfishing and pollution
    Wesley, I agree with you. It makes little sense to feed grains to cows when they eat grass and other vegetation that humans don't eat much of. Grain-fed beef not only contributes to global warming (because it takes a great deal of energy to produce grain) but generates more methane. As the price of grain-fed beef increases, there will be hopefully a return to more grass-fed cattle and a reduction in the number of cattle.

Wise.