Thread: How long did you do in/outpatient rehab?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How long did you do in/outpatient rehab?

How long were you in rehab?

Inpatient?
    Day rehab?
    Outpatient PT/OT? (days per week/hours)

Was your therapy limited by.....

Your insurance coverage?
    Your doctor's willingness to write prescritions?
    Your therapist's perception of your "goals", which may have differed from
    your own?

Best thing about rehab?
    Worst thing?

My father was hit by a taxi last Nov. After 2 months in the ICU with a lot of traumatic injuries, he was in inpatient rehab for 4 months (and it wasn't enough...although we were lucky to get it). He is still in Day Rehab (3 hours a day, 5 days a week) and he will soon be down to 3 days a week. We have been told that Medicare (his primary insurance) reimbursement is so low that they lose money on every Medicare inpatient. I suspect this consequently affects the goals that are set for him in rehab, and the course of his treatment.

Best thing about rehab?

Some great therapists.
    A mat for stretching/exercises that are impossible to do at home.
    Body weight assisted treadmill training.

Worst thing?

Some burned out therapists, that waste precious time.
    Lack of expertise in using body weight assisted treadmill training.
    Never knowing what the goals of the therapists/MD truly are.
    ?that it ends.

I was inpatient for close to 9 months, and outpatient I get 3 one hour appointments per week since I was discharged in 1997. My wife and I now operate our own outpatient PT practice. Germany has socialized medicine, so the inpatient time period is often much longer than in the US. I knew of SCI patients who were well over a year in the hospital doing rehab.
    Best thing was learning how to function again as a quad and be independant. Met some good people, and gave me my future perspective on what I wanted to do by learning how the rehabilitation process worked. Worst was the sporadic nursing care, burned out therapists (who are also payed an unbelievable low salary for what they have to do, which can really kill motivation) and old equipment.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

We bought a mat table like they have in pt so that my husband could stretch at home. We also have a nustep and a Easystand Glider 6000. My husband is T12/L1.

I don't remember the exact amount of rehab - three weeks? - but the insurance was pressuring the rehab to release me. I also had difficulty getting the PT's to accept that my goals were much more ambitious than what they expected. They also chiseled the PT hours badly, working with multiple patients simultaneously that they rotated between. Billing concerns took precedence over therapeutic decisions. This was in one of the model spinal rehabs. They seemed to be overwhelmed by staffing problems at every level. The administration and senior staff did not seem to form a good team. Still, there were some great people doing the work of saints.

I was in such rough shape when discharged that I needed to check into a nearby hotel for a couple days to recover enough to withstand the four hour car ride to my home. I was too beat up to put up the kind of fight that would have been required to get better support from insurance and the rehab. I mostly tried not to pass out or throw up.

One indication of the disorganisation at the rehab is that I was admitted and discharged without ever signing a "consent to treat" form. The hospital was very grateful when I agreed to sign one after they discovered (weeks later) that they had no legal claim for payment without that consent.

I did go to outpatient rehab for the maximum number of sessions provided by insurance.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 07-14-2008 at 11:39 AM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

i was in rehab for about a month. i had medicaid. and outpatient about the same time for 4 days an hour a day. and then when i met all my goals they discharged me.

I was in rehab. 4 weeks. Worst experience for me. The rehab. was not skilled in SCI at all. At least they never dropped me, but they were close a couple of times. Had outpatient PT twice a week a year ago and just recently had one day a week. Rehab. helped a little the second time. I found out my insurance will only cover 60 days of inpatient rehab. for the life of the policy. They will cover just 45 days per year of outpatient.

I was in rehab for four months My favorite part was definitely my recreational therapy, when we got to go out and do stuff. I was never embarrassed to go anywhere and do anything. 10 days postinjury was my 23rd birthday so that was kind of rough. The worst part about my rehab was weekends when I didn't have any therapy. Therapy, both physical and occupational, was my favorite part. I was at Barrows neurological Institute for my inpatient rehab.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.