Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adaptive pedals for bike

adaptive pedals for bike

Gary needs something on the pedals of an existing bike to keep his feet on them. It's a 3 wheeler, so making his feet stationary on them is not a problem. All we can find is hand bike stuff. He is wanting to exercise his legs, not his arms.

Just an idea... what I did for my exercycle was to put those racing traps on the pedals. (The ones that go up and over the toes so racing cyclists can get pulling action from the pedals as well as pushing.) Then I added a velcro strap to go around behind the ankle from the toe to keep my feet from slipping out.

I'm sure there's a better way, anyone else???

That is exactly what we've done - you can buy cages for the pedals at any bike store (about $12 for the pair). They will keep the front of the foot secure on the pedals - most spin classes use cages on the pedals of their bikes. Then attach velcro to wrap around the heel and keep the foot from sliding out backwards. The only thing to watch is that the heel doesn't come inward and rub on the bike frame or chain. Well secured velcro around a sneaker usually prevents this. I usually only have a problem when someone has tiny feet or is wearing a very light shoe.

Gary believes an old metal pair of skates without the wheels would work. Shame that NOTHING is made specifically for this

My crew team in college had a few old boats with sturdy sneakers (kind of like the adidas shelltops) attached for us to put our feet into. Not great considering we all had different shoe sizes, but not a bad idea if it is for use by one person! The challenge would be spotting him while getting his feet into the attached shoes, as opposed to slipping his feet into cages. I'm also thinking it would be helpful to limit the rotational ability of the pedal so he doesn't end up in extreme plantar flexion on the downstroke. This happens often when someone has tight calves or 'floppy' ankles.

snowboard bindings

check out www.ambucs.com and look at the expanding pedals on their adaptive trikes...They're about $60/pair but they properly position your foot on/over the pedal so that you're pushing properly. I just saw them last month at a conference here in FL & talked to the rep...I'll be ordering them for my recumbant trike as soon as I have a spare $60 to spend on them...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Banned

Smile Adaptive Pedals for bike or other exercise machines

The Bycycle Man out of West New York is the best one I have found and it took a while to find one. Check the link. It is a great pedal, fits well and is reasonably priced too. Interchangable on any bike with the same size bolt. There is no giant metal / frankenstein brace on your leg. Plastic and velcro secure your foot. Every hospital, rehab center, home that is dealing with an SCI should have this.

http://store.bicycleman.com/collections/adaptive

Quote Originally Posted by grapplenhook2 View Post
    The Bycycle Man out of West New York is the best one I have found and it took a while to find one. Check the link. It is a great pedal, fits well and is reasonably priced too. Interchangable on any bike with the same size bolt. There is no giant metal / frankenstein brace on your leg. Plastic and velcro secure your foot. Every hospital, rehab center, home that is dealing with an SCI should have this.

http://store.bicycleman.com/collections/adaptive

Hey those look great, I have something like that, that I zip tied to my old exercise bike, but now I use clip less peddle with my old bike shoes. The other cheep thing to do is zip tie an old pair of tennis shoes to the peddles by drilling holes through the bottom of the shoes.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

My daughter, 9 yrs. old, was dx with brain cancer at 17 mos. old. The tumor was in her right parietal and occipital cerebral hemispheres, and she has resulting left-side hemiparesis, which mostly results in weakness and foot drop in her left ankle. She still hasn't learned to ride a tricycle or bicycle, because she has difficulty keeping that foot on the pedal. I'm looking for something that will help her keep her foot on the pedal, but also allow her to get that foot off of the pedal and put her foot down, in case she loses balance, and the bike is falling that way.

I've looked at some of the adaptive pedals discussed in this thread, and they look like they might help, but I'm not sure how easily one could get there foot out when needed. Please let me know if any of these work fine for that situation.