Thread: Clubs, groups, and organizations

Clubs, groups, and organizations

I am currently a grad student, and the camaraderie in the department is great. Many of the other grad students enjoy going out on the weekends for various activities. I enjoy hanging out with my fellow engineers and all, but I'd like to somehow get out to meet new people in the area. I'm at a big school, so it seems that there are all kinds of groups. However, before my accident I probably would have leaned toward the more active groups... maybe mountain biking, rock climbing, something like that. As a high quad, though, participating in groups like those is pretty much out of the question.

I was just wondering if anybody else has ever found themselves in a similar situation? What sorts of groups are good for people who are wheelchair-bound? I'd like to be able to participate as much as everyone else. Unfortunately, I wouldn't consider myself much of an "intellectual", i.e. I'm not one to have intense discussions on politics, ethics, or things of that nature. So groups involving those things might not work so well.

So, just fishing...

Just a few...and you can learn new skills like how to carry on a good conversation....

Sailing
    Spectator sports of all kinds
    Chess or checkers or backgammon
    Book club
    Film or cinema club or discussion group
    Dining out club
    Photography club
    Computer users group

(KLD)

What's your major? Staying in something along the lines of your major is sometimes very beneficial. As KLD suggested, some board games, like checkers, can be good groups and can be played online. I was 2nd and 3rd in my high school for checkers, so it can be fun.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

I'm in chemical engineering. I suppose some boardgames would someone fit along the lines of engineering, but I'm not especially fond of chess/checkers (not trying to be a party pooper). I suppose I'll try to find some huge list of groups to try to see if something looks fitting. Thanks for the replies.

I have the same problem. Pretty much everything I did for fun pre-injury was primarily physical IE, skiing, surfing, skateboarding, biking... although I wasn't too much into groups.
    I'm still searching and I've been able to quench the thirst here and there with trips to accessible hiking trails, painting and some online writing groups, but I still haven't got my endorphin fix. Last week I was able to get out in a kayak for a few hours and paddle a bit but in a double. That was a good take!-

Maybe there is an adaptive sport group in your area. If you have a similar personality type as me then you're not a good observer -- you need interact with your environment.... or whatever environment your in. i know there are a bunch of passive sports/activities to participate in from some of the adaptive hiking/wheelchairs or fully harness skydiving sort of things if you don't mind feel like a basket of fruit.

Book clubs are kinda fun if your in a bunch w similar interests. This is something I struggle with as well -- if any of pops my head ill drop a few more lines.

It isn't available everywhere, but Adaptive Aquatics is water skiing for sci and others. It can get you back to being active outdoors.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.