Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bowel transit time study

bowel transit time study

i just got the results back from my transit time study. i was suspicious that i was overstimulating my bowels, and that was causing my abd pain. turns out that i prbly was/am overstimulating, b/c my system is moving quite fast for a complete quad -- 48hrs overall! the segmental breakdown:
    right colon: 12 hrs
    left colon: 31.2 hrs
    rectosigmoid: 4.5 hrs
    also noted: minimal stasis left colon and no bowel distension.

KLD, would you please comment on what the breakdown tells you?

btw, for folks who don't know about the test, it's fairly simple. you get 3 capsules that have these little markers in them. take 1 Friday, 1 Saturday, 1 Sunday (mornings). Monday you get an x-ray (KUB), then another x-ray on Thursday. they track the markers thru your system to calculate the transit time.
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

I don't know what the normals for this are. I haven't seen this particular study done on our pts. Very interesting. KLD will comment when she returns.

CWO

Makes me hungry for Spaghetti-Os.

I was wondering, just today, what the normal transit time is for the bowels in complete quads. Interesting process, thanks for posting the results!
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis
    I was wondering, just today, what the normal transit time is for the bowels in complete quads. Interesting process, thanks for posting the results!
    i think i was told 48-60 hrs. & i think normal for non-sci is about 48. i might be wrong, tho...
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

Total transit time in ABs should be 8-24 hours, and up to 72 hours in those with mid-thoracic and above SCI.

This study shows that you have a very slow left colon. If a colostomy is being considered, it should be above this segment (ie, in the transverse or right colon).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Total transit time in ABs should be 8-24 hours, and up to 72 hours in those with mid-thoracic and above SCI.

This study shows that you have a very slow left colon. If a colostomy is being considered, it should be above this segment (ie, in the transverse or right colon). (KLD)
    is it abnormal to have such a large difference in transit time b/t left & right sides?

also, you say "up to 72 hrs"... but what is the average or a window of times you'd consider to be acceptable?
    ...Mark Twain

...Winston Churchill

...George Bernard Shaw

bump for KLD...
    ...Mark Twain

...Winston Churchill

...George Bernard Shaw

No, it is not uncommon to have the left side be much slower than the right in SCI, and the normal time is "up to 72 hours" for total transit time. Are you considering a colostomy? Is that why you had the study done?

(KLD)

Left side, right side,?????? I thot we wre single exhaust.