Thread: Seat Upholstery

Seat Upholstery

I am having trouble with the seat upholstery on my new chair. The front edge of it cutting and scratching the back of my legs. I never had this problem with my old chair and it is the same seat depth. I don't think it is too long, I think it is just the way it was finished that it is sharp. Anyone else have this problem or any ideas how to fix it?

what is the front angle on this and your old chair? i dont think the front edge of the seat sling is meant to be that close to you knees, regardless of its finish. my chair has enough room for me to squeeze 4 fingers behind my knee to lift it... do you think you might be sliding backwards in your seat? how forward does your cushion protrude?

It's actually scratching the back of my thighs when I transfer out and scratching the back of my calves when I am just sitting but it is the back of my thighs that is bothering me.
    My front angle is 90 - it is all the same as my old chair and in my old chair my legs touched the edge of the seat upholstery but it didn't scratch them.
    I even scratch my arm if I reach under to my seat pouch and touch the upholstery.
    I don't want to change my leg position - I am very comfortable - I just want to figure out what to do with the edge to make it a smoother surface.

It could be that the seat upholstery is just newer than on your old chair, therefore more taut, and more likely to rub the back of your calves. Newer is less broken in, and the material more likely to be stiffer and scratchier.

Are there velcro strips or anything like that (scratchy side) on upholstery, and if so, placed differently on the seat from your old seat?

How you sit, depth-wise, even if same dimension, may be altered if there are other changes in chair measurements/specs and parts, such as seat cushion and backs in particular. The back could be sitting you deeper in chair - from a loosened sling back, or if using a hard back with opening in rear (btwn seat cushion and bottom of back) allowing hips/butt to sit back farther, and/or sitting with angle adjusted differently. As you're aware, change in type of seat cushion could alter sitting similarly too - from how depressed or immersed in seat to altering position of thighs/hips, etc.

As for quick-fix (or temporary) ideas on smoothing or making the edge softer, how about attaching (sewing on if necessary) some softer material along the edge of seat, like Felt or the soft side of velcro strips? I've used wide multi-purpose velcro strips which stick very well to most any surfaces, and some that are the self adhesive non-stick kind (I like these as they are strong and re-attach/reuseable). I've wrapped them around parts of my footplate that tears into my feet, to cushion it. I am planning on usung the strips to wrap around the front of my seat to provide a tighter surface to better support the cushion, so it 'caves' in less.
    Last edited by chick; 07-08-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks Chick. I will try those ideas. My old chair had an invacare lowback and this one is just upholstery so maybe I am sitting farther back. I am quite comfortable in my new chair though so I will just work on softening up the edge of the upholstery. I thought of velcro but I hadn't thought of felt - it is a good idea. Thanks again.

Just one simple solution to offer from very low-tech me. If your cushion was longer (front to back) than the seat of the chair it might prevent you from coming into contact with the rough area. I have long legs, so I could get away with a longer cushion before it was at my knees. That might work for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexAgain
    It's actually scratching the back of my thighs when I transfer out and scratching the back of my calves when I am just sitting but it is the back of my thighs that is bothering me.
    My front angle is 90 - it is all the same as my old chair and in my old chair my legs touched the edge of the seat upholstery but it didn't scratch them.
    I even scratch my arm if I reach under to my seat pouch and touch the upholstery.
    I don't want to change my leg position - I am very comfortable - I just want to figure out what to do with the edge to make it a smoother surface.
    I had this issue with a too deep chair for a while and I found that I could fold the first 1/4" of the seat upholstery back under itself and tuck it under the hardware rails it's screwed to.

gl

-Dale

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.