Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: NaturalFit vs. FlexiRim

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    381

    NaturalFit vs. FlexiRim

    Does anyone know how these two products compare? I'm thinking of getting some Spinergy LX's, and am wondering about upgrading the push rims to one of these. I know the Natural Fit has an LT version that is smaller and lighter than the original. Pricing it out, they look pretty similar.

    Also, for clarification, is the Spinergy Flexrim basically an LX wheel with different push rims, or is it a different wheel completely?

    My final question: What are the chances of getting Blue Cross/Blue Shield to cover the cost of lighter wheels / ergo pushrims?

    Thanks All!
    -Taziar

  2. #2
    Senior Member wheeliecoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    East Haven, CT
    Posts
    2,600
    Quote Originally Posted by taziar
    My final question: What are the chances of getting Blue Cross/Blue Shield to cover the cost of lighter wheels / ergo pushrims?

    Thanks All!
    -Taziar
    I can only help with this one. I used to have Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and they covered my spinergy wheels because my doctor was very detailed as to why I needed the Spinergy wheels and why these are better for me than the standard wheels that usually came with the chair I was getting. If you are going to go that route...make sure your doctor is very detailed in the justification letter!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    381
    Thanks Wheeliecoach - I remember having to do the same to justify a titanium chair back in 2003. That is encouraging news!

    I seem to remember a post by SCI-OTR, saying he was on the fence about the Spinergy LX, that they had issues with creaking? What say you, SCI? Off the fence yet?

    If insurance is paying, I'm leaning toward the LX's...if I'm paying out of pocket perhaps the Fusion 16 is the better option?

    I hate making decisions.

    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach
    I can only help with this one. I used to have Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and they covered my spinergy wheels because my doctor was very detailed as to why I needed the Spinergy wheels and why these are better for me than the standard wheels that usually came with the chair I was getting. If you are going to go that route...make sure your doctor is very detailed in the justification letter!

  4. #4
    Senior Member wheeliecoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    East Haven, CT
    Posts
    2,600
    I have had no issues with my LX wheels if that helps. I love them!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Cdn.....eh
    Posts
    3,268
    My lx are great too. ALL spoked wheels will creak cause they're in tension..

  6. #6
    The 17x17 ZRa I recently posted pics of had a creak in one of the spokes. My non-scientific findings are that 3 of the 9 pairs of LX wheels I've ordered for veteran's chairs had creaks. Two of these veterans weighed more than 220 lbs. I don't think I've I've seen more two Spox Everyday's that creaked. and I've ordered at least 50 sets for veteran's chairs.

    When I thought about it, this really wasn't all that surprising. A 12 spoke LX wheel rotates 30 degrees between spokes while an 18 spoke Spox Everyday only rotates 20.

    I haven't had success trying to eliminate creaks by tensioning spokes, but I've been conservative so as not to screw up the balance of the wheel. A good bike shop may be able to correct any problems in short order.

  7. #7
    no creak on my 2 sets of lx's. my 0old spox were terrible
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by taziar
    Does anyone know how these two products compare?
    Also, for clarification, is the Spinergy Flexrim basically an LX wheel with different push rims, or is it a different wheel completely?

    -Taziar
    The flex-rim is intigrated into the wheel rim and cannot be removed , but the natural fit can be. With that being said I've used both and prefer the flex-rims over the natural fit. They are much lighter and the rubbber is easy to push in snowy and wet conditions. They do take some getting used to.
    "Donny you're out of your element!" ~ Walter Sobchak

    T-5 Complete 9/15/06

  9. #9
    Senior Member Hype62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    433
    I have 2 pairs of LX, 25" and 24", and the 25" one creaks when I make a tight turn on carpet.
    May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

    Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebar
    The flex-rim is intigrated into the wheel rim and cannot be removed , but the natural fit can be. With that being said I've used both and prefer the flex-rims over the natural fit. They are much lighter and the rubbber is easy to push in snowy and wet conditions. They do take some getting used to.
    What about them takes getting used to? Are they your main wheels?

Similar Threads

  1. Cool New TiLite Options...
    By SCI_OTR in forum Equipment
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 05:44 PM
  2. Anyone try those naturalfit handrims??
    By offthahook in forum Equipment
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-12-2007, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •