Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Damn,damn & damn!

oh Obie, I'm sorry I didn't see this thread until today. I guess I was wrapped up in my own drama yesterday.

I understand how you feel. Enjoying a great day and then BAM! it hits you upside the head. "No, you are not a normal family, no you can't enjoy the simple things anymore, you must be reminded of SCI every single day for the rest of your life."

Our "oops" happened at Disney World when taking a picture of the family w/ Mickey and Minnie. Mickey pulled Rob backwards right out of his chair! It sucked at the time, we tried to just laugh it off but the reminder sat in the back of our heads. Now we laugh about it and don't even give it a second thought but in the moment .... IT JUST SUCKS!

I hope your feeling better today.
    Kelly

Obieone

I remember when Sean was still in rehab and he was having his first home day-visit. We had no lift, no accessible van at that point, so they just dressed him, and sent him home in an accessible cab.

We were going to have a family dinner, everyone was there ~ I'd cooked his favourite meal. We were all kind of nervous about how it would go. He hadn't seen his home in months.

He was home for about 1 hour, and we noticed that he was soaking wet and it was all dripping down the back of his chair. There was nothing to do but call the cab and have him sent back to rehab or he'd be sitting soaked for hours. Rehab was about an hour away and $100.00 cab ride, so it wasn't like he could just get cleaned up and come back. No dinner, no family get-together.

I'm not comparing this to Bill's fall, but I remember that feeling. That gut-wrenching feeling ~ trying to act like everything was "normal" and ok. It was like the steam was just sucked out of us all ~ at that moment.

I'm trying to say ~ I understand!!

Thanks again everyone ..... not to belabour the point but I knew you'd know what I was talking about here!

Maybe its a mistake to allow our minds to play the game of momentary denial ... at least that's how I define it ...... I realize the reason those moments hurt so much is because we allow ourselves to forget or we push it to the back of our minds so we can just pretend for a little while that none of it matters and that we can do everything the same as before! In this instance it was a foolish lapse of judgment I realize because there were very clear safety issues to consider !

We're on the cusp of getting our life back to the crazy normal we are used to .... the reno's are so close to being completed and summer always makes me a little giddy because its so much easier living this sci life without the cold and snow to worry about or slow us down ..... I wish I could figure out why Bill is having so many of those down days ...... I think maybe he needs to have his drugs re-evaluated and of course he needs to be home with us and away from his Mom ..... bless her heart ..... I think he's losing his confidence living with her .... she tends to treat him more like a "sick" person rather than someone who has physical limitations......on the other hand he does have actual sick days if his ostomy acts up or he can't sleep at night ........ its complicated and a no win situation .....

I just realized I highjacked my own thread ...... I do believe this one has run its course anyhoo so I'll continue this other conversation over in the Journal ...... meet you there !

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Recurring thought. Good life vest and no restraining straps binding Bill to wheelchair. As you know too well, a peaceful boat ride can change quickly into a panic situation. Anyone not possessing the capability for self-rescue (children, disabled) should wear a life jacket anytime they are near or on the water. Actually, EVERYBODY should wear a life vest. There are a lot of advances in these devices that add increased safety and comfort.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I would be depressed living in Manitoba too!

(just a friendly jab at a fellow Canadian! lol)
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    Recurring thought. Good life vest and no restraining straps binding Bill to wheelchair. As you know too well, a peaceful boat ride can change quickly into a panic situation. Anyone not possessing the capability for self-rescue (children, disabled) should wear a life jacket anytime they are near or on the water. Actually, EVERYBODY should wear a life vest. There are a lot of advances in these devices that add increased safety and comfort.
    OMG. Shoulda thought of that. Listen to Foolish Old, ppl!

I was taking a test drive on a fast fiberglass type pontoon boat that had twin 115 suzukis and I was holding on between the console and the railing thinking that was a good safe spot but the salesman demoing the boat that I was looking to buy was showing us how good the boat handled so he was speeding up and slowing down and a few times it felt like I was going to lose my grip but didnt , then the guy started to spin the boat in circles at a pretty good speed to show how well the boat does not list to one side when turning , then after about the 3rd circle the rail broke and I was shot off the boat like a rocket over the rail out into the river , luckily I can swim good and the water was only about 6 foot deep in that area and had to look for my chair and happen to see he backpack floating up above the chair so I did get my chair back , and it was in salt water so had to rinse the chair and oil it all up, I lost a lot of stuff out of the back pack like keys, glasses and pills which the marina paid for, also went to the hospital to get a few xrays just in case , but was OK ,,
    And I agree with the comment made earlier do not tie yourself down in a boat in case of a rollover or sinking but make sure you are in a corner or on the seat in case of a problem..
    Also I did end up buying that model of boat even after getting slung out like a depth charge in the river...
    I have had 5 boats since that one and just bought a 18 foot pontoon last year from Bently,,,,they are the only manufacture out there that makes a boat with all 32 inch doors on the front and sides without any modifications and they have a rubber type flooring that I dont slide around on like slick fiberglass or hold water like carpet..And if you go to a floating dock it is a perfect hight so no ramp is needed..
    I hope that his fall does not keep him off of the boat just find a more secure area to back into to prevent this and I am glad he is OK...Accidents happen no matter what but I love being out in our boat it give just a little more sense of freedom..
    Sorry for the long post...
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by garyv
    they are the only manufacture out there that makes a boat with all 32 inch doors on the front and sides
    Actually no. My 24' Manitou has 32'' doors left and front. No need to get a right-side so my lounger is the whole side.

Obie, he didn't lock his chair down with the hand brakes? A suggestion.. Look in the pic closely, that's a broom laying down supporting my powerchair. My brakes are shot in my Jazzy, so I now use my Quantam whereas the brakes work to drive!! When my dad drove I backed up against the black speaker and put the broom in front. If you can ''lock'' him in with this method he'll be fine. Also, next time designate someone for ''Bill patrol'' and sit adjacent to him and keep their foot on the handle for extra security..

It would have been a better story if he'd tumbled in the drink... and I'm saying this for 2,3 years down the road whenever everyone is sitting around and someone says, ''Remember when..'' You still have that and I'm glad he's okie dokie..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

I've got an event Friday at a big lake 100 miles from me. We're going down early tomorrow to rent a pontoon boat to hang out for the day on the lake before we have to "work" Friday. I aksed the guy about the door width and he didn't know but said "we had a guy in an "electric chair" on here last week".

How wide is the average door, if there IS an average width?

How much gas do these beasts burn son?
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye

How wide is the average door, if there IS an average width?

How much gas do these beasts burn son?
    The width is the million $$ question dad. ALL are quite different. Hopefully he'll have a selection and you can get one wide enough. You really need to get him to give an exact measurement.

Gasahaul consumption is just like a car's.. my 225 hp will burn moderately cruising at 25 or so..... hammer down and you can literally watch the gauge drop. I seriously doubt he'll have anything beefier than a 90 hp. Some places have 150's but that's like that needle in a haystack chance. Have fun..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia