Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Damn,damn & damn!

Sorry your great day was blemished, but so glad that he was ok, and that you got out! (And SOOOO glad that it didn;t end the ride, it would have made it just that much harder to go another time ..... back onthe horse and all.) I am hoping to get out on the lake next week on my brother in laws boat, going to take Betheny's tips!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Thanks everyone ... for the support and good advice !! It was totally foolish to have Bill in his chair not anchored down properly on any sort of boat ..... there will absolutely be a next time and we'll be so much the smarter for it ! I just reacted strongly internally to the situation ..... for a brief moment in time we kinda forgot about that doggone chair and then ... snap .... back to reality!

The moment has passed and all Bill has to show for it is a bit of a stiff neck .... other than that he's fine ..... I think this was more my issue than his to tell you the truth ! Your words helped alot ......

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I think it's natural, Obie. Everybody but Jake freaks plumb out when I dump myself.

I endo'd in front of the War Museum in Augusta KS last year. War-hardened veterans of major international conflicts were gnashing their nails, you'd best believe!

Gawdamighty that was funny, from my spot on the pavement.

Obie, I am so sorry this happened, and that it kept intruding on the fun of your day long after Bill was righted and apparently OK. It is understandable, but I agree that it is better to take the occasional chance than to not do things. Personally speaking, I would much rather run the risk of taking a header than to have to sit on the shore like some pathetic crip while everyone else went out on the boat. It's all life, it's all good, and even this will eventually be something you can all chuckle about. Honest. Hugs.....

Obieone,

I fell backward and hit my coconut on Sunday as well. I was at my cousin's small wedding at her new country home and I thought one of my cousins had my back when I popped the wheel gently to go up the little step and BAM! I'm on the ground. I wasn't hurt, but experienced the same minor pain and dizziness for a while. I couldn't imagine it happening because I don't think I used that much force to send me flying backwards nor did clearing the step require me to go that far back. It still baffles me a bit.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone
    .... there will absolutely be a next time and we'll be so much the smarter for it ! I just reacted strongly internally to the situation ..... for a brief moment in time we kinda forgot about that doggone chair and then ... snap .... back to reality!
    It's hell to see them fall, that's all I can say. Every time, I get adrenaline sickness for an hour afterwards -- yuk. This one sounds like the worst part was the slap of reality right in the middle of long-delayed pleasure. None of you deserved that--not that anybody deserves any of this.

I'm so glad to hear you say that there will be a next time! Nothing like a boat ride, baby.

sorry, obi. i once was in a wheelchair van taxi, rearend lift and when the straps were undone, i backed up w/o looking, thinking the ramp was up. it wasn't. it was halfway up. i landed like a cat, but it was pretty abrupt! i don't know wth the driver was doing or thinking!

then there's the times getting off Amtrak in Oceanside, CA when it was windy....i wear skirts.....everybody on platform is below me....

and the time i was in a park on grass, headed for sidewalk w/o seeing the curb between grass and sidewalk and my chair proceeded to fall sideways, throwing me on the hard sidewalk, still belted in but boy i hit side of face so hard!

or that precious time in my manual chr while pushing down carpeted hallway in my house alone, chr tipped forward leaving me hanging by seatbelt...i'd rather have fallen on floor. couldn't undo seatbelt, couldn't right the chr....so my dachsie sat with me for 2 hours until someone came home.

then the time one wheel fell off sidewalk late at night in freezing temps and nobody around, cell phone dead....ok, i'll stop

THESE THINGS SUCK! we all have these stories and am really

glad things turned out ok for you guys!

OK, I am now relieved, when I first read this I thought Bill went ass over backwards OFF the boat! Glad he just hit the deck but ouch to that too.

KUDOS for getting Bill up and out for the day. I am with Eileen, it beats sitting on the shore. This may sound weird but it is cool that you were so in the moment, the fact that Bill was in a chair was overlooked, that tells me it was fun. Now, take Betheny's suggestions and approach it differently next time.

All I can say is I am happy Bill did not go for a swim!
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    or that precious time in my manual chr while pushing down carpeted hallway in my house alone, chr tipped forward leaving me hanging by seatbelt...i'd rather have fallen on floor. couldn't undo seatbelt, couldn't right the chr....so my dachsie sat with me for 2 hours until someone came home. .......

THESE THINGS SUCK! we all have these stories and am really

glad things turned out ok for you guys!
    Cass you are a sweet sweet soul ..... you put things in perspective for me with your post ......... I'm sorry you endured so many of those things ....

I realize things could have turned out worse ...... and although Bill can swim I have no idea how things would have gone if he had ended up in the drink ....... I still see Bill as the big strong 6'2 burly logger man I married over 30 some years ago .... so to see him laid out like that just kind of shakes me up.... even after 10 years of this god forsaken thing ......

I think you guys are all amazing .... I really mean that .... thanks again ....

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Don't advise tying wheelchair to boat, better to just kinda wedge chair in spot where it can't tip. I have pontoon I fish off a lot and when ski boats zoom by it becomes an amusement park ride but wouldn't tie myself to boat in case boat decides to go down.

My latest fall was at the public library where they have a way too steep (to be legal) curb cut. Since I had been there last I had switched chairs and had shorter wheel base. When I reached bottom of curb cut chair cartwheeled forward and I did face plant. As someone else in this thread mentioned and in the inimitable words of Conan the Barbarian, "That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger." If you avoid injury, its a fun experience.