Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Alcoholic Neuropathy newbie

Hi, I could use some advice. I had a pretty sever back herniation 3 years ago. My left leg pretty much died, radiculopathy. Then I slowly started having problems with both legs. My doctor and surgeons were stumped, the herniation didn't appear to be affecting the right side. I had 22 injections in my spine and SI joints, 18 Lumbar MRI's that show increasing worsening DDD and 4 current herniations. I cant get the doctor to fuse my legs because the pain pattern doesn't fit the discs. I ve had 5 emg's, mostly negative, I had a discogram that was positive for back pain, but my legs don't work anymore. My quad muscles, and now my calves and feet are numb or cramped or burning constantly. My groin muscle spasms violently. My IT bands are super tight and pretty much I cannot get up stairs anymore.
    I never really thought about it but since my injury I've been drinking A lot of HIGH alcohol beer, IPA's super IPA's. Probably 30 or so a week, but that equates to about 60 miller lites. They are like 6-8% alcohol. I drank a LOT last night, this morning my legs felt DEAD. I ended up back in the ER, where they page my surgeon, he doesn't come, and they inject me with steroids and send me home. The pain is unbearable at times, mostly when I sit.
    So now I am confused, maybe this leg stuff ISNT related to my messed up disc's, maybe its acohol killing my nerves? I drank a gallon of water today, took all my vitamins X 2. I'm going to give it a few weeks if I can survive it and see if my legs get any better.
    I'm so lost man. I haven't worked in 3 years. There have been weeks where I don't even leave my bedroom. Sitting is so bad... It started with a fall onto concrete in 2011 followed by a herniation from lifting weights in 2012. My quality of life has totally evaporated.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Oh I also had 2 discectomies 2013 and my left SI fused in 2014, neither helped my bilateral leg issues. Part of my colon was leaking near my lumbar, so I had a colectomy, they removed 18 inches of colon. That didn't help either. But they did manage to damage my bladder. Then my left knew and shoulder were injured in a post operative fall, both need/had surgery.... one more on Wednesday. ugh.

Oh I also had 2 discectomies 2013 and my left SI fused in 2014, neither helped my bilateral leg issues. Part of my colon was leaking near my lumbar, so I had a colectomy, they removed 18 inches of colon. That didn't help either. But they did manage to damage my bladder. Then my left knew and shoulder were injured in a post operative fall, both need/had surgery.... one more on Wednesday. ugh.

It's hard to say but i would say that this new onset of symptoms is not linked with the drinking but a worsening of your current condition. If i were you i wou,d call the neurosurgeon on call and let them decide if you need to go to the ER. Or at least see you in clinic. It sounds to me like you need a different surgeon.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009