Thread: The ten fattest states in the United States

The ten fattest states in the United States

http://img.allvoices.com/thumbs/imag...0/12975233.jpg

The United States has had an epidemic of obesity but it appears to be localized to certain regions of the United States. This map suggests that is a particularly serious problem in the deep South.

I am surprised to see that Hawaii is a thin state. My neighbor is Hawaiian and president of the Hawaiian Polynesian Society in this area. The people who I know through him are really big! I guess I just assumed they all are, as a culture or genetic sort of thing. Shot my stereotype to hell to see it on the map as green.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFla
    I am surprised to see that Hawaii is a thin state. My neighbor is Hawaiian and president of the Hawaiian Polynesian Society in this area. The people who I know through him are really big! I guess I just assumed they all are, as a culture or genetic sort of thing. Shot my stereotype to hell to see it on the map as green.
    Perhaps most of the other people are extra skinny to make up? Actually, I think that the majority body type in Hawaii is more like the typical Asian body type. It is much less "big" than in the United States. I feel fat in Hong Kong where I am frequently the fattest person in a room but am positively svelte in many places in the United States where anybody over the age of 35 is overweight.

Wise.

They forgot to weigh me, when they listed Oklahoma. Or maybe I was turned sideways and they accidentally missed me? There are some big people here, it is true.

My g-daughter's mom is concerned that the little girl focuses on looks/ weight too much. I was held up as an example of people that get too skinny for good health. (Not my proudest moment.)

I really do wonder where they got these stats.

Not to make excuses but I think one reason obesity rates are higher in the Southern US might be due to the excessive heat and humidity that keeps people more sedentary or reluctant to spend more time outside engaging in physical activities. I just came back from Las Vegas and it was 104-107 for 5days. I went outside a lot but there was no humidity and I stayed in the shade mostly after a few minutes in the sun. However, I did burn off plenty of energy. As the self designated "perv of the pool" I had to really hustle around the pool area of the Bellagio to check out the chicksters. No overweight babes there...only tanned and tawny nymphs with firm and supple breasts!

I wonder how many calories are sequestered in our nation's blubber? Perhaps this is part of the solution to our energy needs.
    we need to get those liposuction machines pumping.

a pound of fat = 3500 calories
    a gallon of gasoline = 31,000 calories

If 25% of America is overweight by an average of 30 pounds ...
    or (350 million people X 3500 X .25 X 30)/ 31000 = nearly 300 million gallons of gasoline!

While that may not seem like a lot a gas in terms of the whole country, if people use that energy to ride bicycles at 900 mpg...

that would result in almost 270 BILLION miles of travel! (Unless I've made a mistake here in my ciphering)

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question527.htm
    "It turns out that "biological engines" -- which is what the muscles in your body are -- are pretty amazing in terms of efficiency. To find out how efficient, let's look at how many calories a person burns while riding a bicycle.

If you look at a page like this calorie chart, you will find that a person riding a bicycle at 15 miles per hour (24 km per hour) burns 0.049 calories per pound per minute. So a 175-pound (77-kg) person burns 515 calories in an hour, or about 34 calories per mile (about 21 calories per km).

A gallon of gasoline (about 4 liters) contains about 31,000 calories. If a person could drink gasoline, then a person could ride about 912 miles on a gallon of gas (about 360 km per liter). Considering that a normal car gets about 30 miles per gallon, that's pretty impressive!"
    Last edited by Wesley; 07-07-2008 at 10:41 AM.

Texans are pretty damn fat. I was in awe when I was there.

Actually, its a matter of demographics. It's long been well known that lower income families have higher rates of obesity, and this pattern holds true state wide. The correlation between poor states and high obesity is very strong. Colorado is a very wealthy state by comparision, and it has a low obesity rate. The pattern is even more pronounced when the poor South is compared with wealthy New England (mostly green)

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Imight
    Texans are pretty damn fat. I was in awe when I was there.
    You know what they say...."everything is big in Texas".