Thread: Looking to buy a condo

Looking to buy a condo

I've recently been in the market for my own place, and have become fond of some loft-style condos in the area. So I've been doing some brainstorming...there are 2 units in the complex I'm interested in. One is on the main floor, but is probably at the high end of what I can afford, and the other is on the 2nd and accessed by an elevator. It's a little cheaper, and I like the layout a bit more (based on pics, I'm going to see it Tues.), but I'm concerned about the reliability of the elevator and getting out in an emergency (fire).

Also, to the real estate gurus, how low might I be able to go under asking price these days?

And finally, what would be the best way to let my attendants in when I'm in bed?

Thanks!

in an emergency.... you're screwed if the elevator isn't working... i'd go with the 1st floor unit
    AB, Husband is c5-6 inc quad, 25 years post injury.

I just bought a condo a couple of years ago and chose not to live on the first floor because, realistically, if there is ever going to be a break-in it will be on the first floor. I bought on the second, which is low enough to be rescued from in case of emergency and feel very comfortable with my situation. Unless the building is not well maintained there shouldn't be much of an issue with the elevator. I have never had one. You need to do what is called "comps" in the real estate market. Go online and find similar properties to what you are looking at in that zip code. If they sold more than a year ago you can pretty much count on the fact that the bust in the real estate market has lowered the price, unless you are looking in one of the very, very rare areas where prices have not fallen. Use a realtor. They can help with all this, and it is not you who pays them, it is the seller, so you have nothing to lose by getting as much help and information out of them as you can.

One of the things you could do to let your attendants in when you are in bed is to put what is called a "lock box" on the doorway to your unit. It is a simple little box that hangs off the doorknob and can only be opened by someone who knows the combination. Inside you could place the key to your door. They put in the combination, take out the key, open the door, and return the key to the box. If you ever needed to you could change the combination. If you ever needed help from police or fire you could call and tell them the combination number so they could get in too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen
    One of the things you could do to let your attendants in when you are in bed is to put what is called a "lock box" on the doorway to your unit. It is a simple little box that hangs off the doorknob and can only be opened by someone who knows the combination. Inside you could place the key to your door. They put in the combination, take out the key, open the door, and return the key to the box. If you ever needed to you could change the combination. If you ever needed help from police or fire you could call and tell them the combination number so they could get in too.
    better yet, get an electronic lock that has codes that can be changed(keyless entry)...this way if you ever have a problem and need to fire someone, there's no keys floating around and you can change or disable their access code. These locks are not all that expensive for the security they give...plus you could record a combo that is just for you/your family then you'd never have to give away the master combo to someone who might not be around in the future...or you can have a special one for people who take care of your house while on vacation, out of town, etc...Kwikset makes the ones that I'm most familiar with & it'll match your existing doorknobs
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll look into it. As far as the possibility of a break-in on the first floor, yeah, I have thought of that. I just don't know how effectively I can use the elevator (C-4/5)...don't know if I could get close enough to the buttons.