Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood test showed high level of liver enzyme?

Blood test showed high level of liver enzyme?

My GI doctor ordered a blood work and had it done about two weeks ago. The Nurse called me and said the results show high levels of liver enzyme and my doctor wants to do another blood test that will look for Hepatitis B and C.
    I don't know what this mean?

Your liver function studies or enzymes can be elevated due to many different causes. Hepatitis, types A, B, and C should always be considered, but can be fairly easily diagnosed with specific tests for these infectious diseases. Hepatitis A is usually acquired through contaminated food or poor hand hygiene and comes from fecal contamination. Hep B is usually blood borne but can be transmitted through sexual contact. Hep C is most common from contaminated blood transfusions (esp. prior to 1992), dirty needle tattoos, or sharing of IV drug needles.

Liver enzymes can also be elevated in liver disease such as cirrhosis due to alcohol abuse or from side effects of medications, many of which can be liver toxic. Other less common causes include congenital liver disease or liver cancer. Here is some more complete information:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ele...nzymes/HQ01011

When did you last have your liver enzymes checked?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Your liver function studies or enzymes can be elevated due to many different causes. Hepatitis, types A, B, and C should always be considered, but can be fairly easily diagnosed with specific tests for these infectious diseases. Hepatitis A is usually acquired through contaminated food or poor hand hygiene and comes from fecal contamination. Hep B is usually blood borne but can be transmitted through sexual contact. Hep C is most common from contaminated blood transfusions (esp. prior to 1992), dirty needle tattoos, or sharing of IV drug needles.

Liver enzymes can also be elevated in liver disease such as cirrhosis due to alcohol abuse or from side effects of medications, many of which can be liver toxic. Other less common causes include congenital liver disease or liver cancer. Here is some more complete information:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ele...nzymes/HQ01011

When did you last have your liver enzymes checked?

(KLD)
    Well I have never requested to have my liver enzymes checked before. I have blood work done on me all the time but I don't know if they check for that every time I go. I just take the lab order my doctors give me and then go have it done another day. When results come in doctors have never discussed my liver enzymes, only iron levels, testosterone, thyroid and other things.

I would be very surprised if you have never had these tested before. They are a commonly done test.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    I would be very surprised if you have never had these tested before. They are a commonly done test.

(KLD)
    I've never initiated a blood test in the 22 years I've been paralyzed. I've never asked for one, never got one....outside of my baclofen pump surgeries (4), where they do the pre-op blood test to check for whatever.

Is this type of pre-op blood test thorough?

My results came back within expected range for healthy people all 4 times.

Sorry for the hijack oscdude.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Been there

When I was in the rehab hospital a blood test showed that my liver enzymes were elevated. The doctor decided to take me off all meds except for the blood thinner and right away the liver enzymes returned to normal. Having never really taken medicine pre-injury my body didn't like the sudden change. Perhaps a med you are taking is affecting your liver?

Your GP will do a full workup to determine the cause of the elevated liver enzymes. It could be the result of any number of reasons (medications you are currently taking, or it could be something more). I suggest you let your medical team do a thourough workup.
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 07-04-2008 at 02:25 AM.

The medication I was taking around the time they performed the blood test was Asacol for my IBS (now switched to Lialda) and about two weeks prior to the blood test I was also drinking Muscle Milk Light, which is a protein shake. I drank it in the mornings before going to the gym, but it is only when I would remember, is not a daily thing.

Quote Originally Posted by oscdude
    The medication I was taking around the time they performed the blood test was Asacol for my IBS (now switched to Lialda) and about two weeks prior to the blood test I was also drinking Muscle Milk Light, which is a protein shake. I drank it in the mornings before going to the gym, but it is only when I would remember, is not a daily thing.
    http://www.asacol.com/ulcerative-col...-arthritis.jsp

Do you have ulcerative colitis often called inflammatory bowel disease or IBD or IBS as in irritable bowel syndrome? UC itself can cause enzymes to occasionally go wacko. IBS is a totally different bird and less hard on the body but with many of the same surprises at the worst possible time. IBS meds don't normally effect liver levels.

RDF, most my AB friends get a full panel done around age 50. If on certain meds more often.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Thanks Sue, so they don't do a "full panel" for pre-op? I've been taking oxybutinin for 22 years, and except for a short stint on Methadone for pain, I've taken no other meds.

Oh well, I got 4 years til I'm 50, but I doubt I'll get one even then. I'm the let nature take its course type of guy, if it's my time to go, I might just welcome it. I've seen too much daily suffering from treatments while people's lives are prolonged for just another few years. It ain't worth it IMO.

I'm not afraid to die, but I do want to die with dignity.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!