Thread: High Blood Pressure

High Blood Pressure

221/140 the first time we checked and 228/140 the second time. I was scared out of my mind. Drove to the E.R. immediately and when I got there my blood pressure was 106/65. WTF.

I knew something was wrong when I was visiting my dad. The sweating started and continued getting worse, I was leaking, my legs were bouncing around and I turned beet red. I drove home(the worst drive ever) 30 miles of misery. Once I got home my brother took one look at me and I could tell he was as scared as me. Then we checked my blood pressure and went to the E.R.

I'm so thankful I did not stroke out. Even after my blood pressure went down I was still shaking and tense from the fright it gave me.

What should I ask my doc about managing my blood pressure when it get's that high? Do they have something similiar to nitro people take when they're about to have a heart attack but for blood pressure?

I'm still not sure what happened, but because of the leaking I think it was a stone.

-Chris
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Mine was always rediculosly low, and so for almost 3 years after SCI, now it's a little high. They keep me on Blood Pressure med it stays down, but I have to try and move around a lot. When I don't, it goes up. Even after the lawyers call me I can keep control. No matter how bad they try to wind me up, and, get this, the doctor thinks I might need more stress in my life, it seems to agree with me.....Go figure.....

Sounds like autonomic dysreflexia (AD.) Do a search for posts here about it, and how to deal with it.

There is nitropaste for symptoms, but the main thing you need to do is correct whatever is causing the AD (bowel, bladder, pressure, etc.)
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I posted this in another thread you had for a similar problem, but the first thing you should always check is your SP and bladder and make sure everything is draining properly.Since you said you started leaking it makes sense that your bladder was full, and it probably eventually unclogged.

I felt like I had to mention it again because it seems like the majority of AD is caused by bladder issues.

Yes, it sounds like classic AD. You drove yourself with a blood pressure like that? Good thing you did not stroke out and kill a bunch of people (and yourself) on the road. We always tell our clients to either call an ambulance or have somonene else drive them to the ER if they are having AD that they cannot control by removing the cause, or by taking medication...and if they take medication they still need to go to the ER to get the cause diagnosed and taken care of.

Do you know about AD and how to manage it at home? Weren't you taught this in rehab? If not, you need to get and read this publication, and get the professional version and carry it with you all the time so you can give it to ambulance drivers, ER nurses and doctors, etc.

http://www.pva.org/site/PageServer?p...e=pubs_main#CG

Do they have something similiar to nitro people take when they're about to have a heart attack but for blood pressure?
    Yes, it is called NITROGLYCERINE PASTE. You can put it on and then remove it once the cause of the AD had been removed and your symptoms subside. If you take any of the oral ED drugs you should not use this either 24 hours before or after those drugs, so you may also need something like nifedipine capsules to take in an emergency.

Was your catheter clogged? Your bowels impacted? Skin problems? What were you sitting on? Passing a stone could cause this, which is one reason that stones need to be removed when they are found in someone with a SCI.

(KLD)

Yes, I understand AD.

Catheter good, bowels good, yes I have a wound on my foot that is in a cast(but doesn't give me AD), RoHo cushion(had plenty of air.

Must of been a stone.

Thanks for the advice.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace