Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool New TiLite Options...

Cool New TiLite Options...

I heard that these were coming when I was at RESNA last week, but did not expect to see them on the ZR/ZRa order form so quickly...

http://www.tilite.com/pdf/TiLite_ZR_ZRA.pdf

those push handles are great, i saw some on a tilite tx at the http://www.gerald-simonds.co.uk/ stand at the mobility roadshow in coventry a few weeks ago, and the guy said they were being tested but he didnt know when they would be available... i guess they are now! im looking into changing my backrest to a solid, and had worried my bolt-on handles would interfere, but now no prob...

the handle was patterned i remember, not just plain foam.

sweet, I've been waiting to get new backposts w/ these (so I can put a hard back on too) thanksfor the heads up
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

NaturalFit LT Handrims

One interesting option which is a story in itself are the new NaturalFit LT handrims. I also saw these at RESNA at the Three Rivers exhibit. I didn't get a chance to push them, but they were only slightly heavier than a standard anodized aluminum hand rim. They use an oval component which is only about 2/3 the cross section of a standard NaturalFit...

Aluminum Scissor Locks

I didn't see these firsthand, but they have got to be better than their current wheel lock offerings. This diagram has been in the parts manual for some time...

http://www.tilite.com/pdf/7_WheelLocks.pdf

Always the way...

A couple of weeks after my new ZR is delivered they come out with a better brake. Wonder what the cost is to buy them outside of purchasing a new chair.
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
    -Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

I love Tilite! I sent them an email saying I had a chair delivered two weeks before their new options came out and wished I had ordered the new aluminum brakes. I got a call from Sportaid a couple days ago saying Tilite called them and told them to immediately process an exchange of my composite brakes for the new aluminum style free of charge!
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
    -Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Do post a review of them. I'd like to stop having to order Quickie Ergo scissor locks for every ZR/ZRa that I spec out.

Anybody tried those NaturalFit LT's yet? I'm not sure which to get, the standard or the LT. I have a bit of carpal-tunnel developing in my right hand, and am wondering if the LT will give me the same relief as the standard? I'd like the lighter weight, but if the standard will help my hand more, then that's what I will get.
    What is the real advantage of the Natural Fit? Is it the rubbery connection between the pushrim and the wheel, or the oval shape of the pushrim itself?

Quote Originally Posted by taziar
    What is the real advantage of the Natural Fit? Is it the rubbery connection between the pushrim and the wheel, or the oval shape of the pushrim itself?
    The thumb piece isn't rubbery in the sense that it bends or is flexible. The thumb piece is made of aluminum and is either powder coated (standard grip) or plastic coated (super grip). It's purpose is to distribute pressure away from the carpal tunnel at the wrist joint. Some of the forces which are normally absorbed at the wrist during contact with the handrim are redistributed onto the fleshy part of the hand at the base of the thumb. There are other advantages as well, but they have less to do with carpal tunnel syndrome.

The oval component provides a greater surface area on which to grasp, because the larger muscles in the forearm have a greater mechanical advantage when the hand does not have to close as much, less effort is required to push. There is less stress on tendons & nerves and greater biomechanical efficiency. For example, if you ask a 20 year old male to squeeze your hand as hard as they can, it is very likely to result in excruciating pain. If you ask them to squeeze only two of your fingers, however, you will probably avoid having to go get X-rays.

Both pieces combine to provide the greatest benefit to someone who has normal hand function, but it seems to me that the oval component provides a slightly greater contribution.