Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tippy chair

I just saw this this morning. I´ll take side pictures tonight and post them tomorrow. Dump is a lot less than on my Ti, by at least two inches, there is very little dump on the GT. My Ti is taller in the front by at least 1 1/2 inches. I´ll post pictures tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by FasterNow
    How about a side view of your chair? It would help to see all the angles at once.

If you want to try something before you go to the local shop, take as much dump out of the chair as you can. This will put more load on the casters. You should also be able to tilt the backrest back to make it more comfortable after you take some dump out.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Interesting. One of the things I feel is that the backrest is way too far back, to the point of the cushion just not resting all the way back and it "feels" uncomfortable. Definitely I´ll take a look at the manual and see if I can move the backrest up an inch or so. That seems like a strong possibility. If I understand correctly, there are adjustments to move the entire back forward, not only the degree of lean? That would push my entire body forward and definitely improve the center of gravity.

The chair is 18 x 18, 19 1/2 inches floor height at the front and 16 1/2 in the rear, 24 inch wheels and center of gravity set all the way back as the pictures show.

I´ll post more pics tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Daleb
    Wow...that is all the way back. Our posture, body weight, and pushing dynamics must be very different. How are your STF measurements setup?
    I'm 16rx19f with 16" seat to footrest, sitting on Roho high profile.

I've been accused of 'sacral' sitting by a previous PT but I try to be aware of when it's happening and correct, so that may effect my front/back weight distribution. My back rest is set a couple degrees open from 90, ~87 or so.

I use the fore/aft location of my rigid backrest to make adjustments to my CoG (like moving far forward for bowling, further back for loose terrain). It's got about 2" worth of adjustability. I find it much easier than moving the wheels and all, and I can do it while still in the chair. (Assuming it seems worth it to you in terms of parting with $ for an adjustable jetstream pro and losing an inch of seat sling from behind your knees).

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto
    Interesting. One of the things I feel is that the backrest is way too far back, to the point of the cushion just not resting all the way back and it "feels" uncomfortable. Definitely I´ll take a look at the manual and see if I can move the backrest up an inch or so. That seems like a strong possibility. If I understand correctly, there are adjustments to move the entire back forward, not only the degree of lean? That would push my entire body forward and definitely improve the center of gravity.

The chair is 18 x 18, 19 1/2 inches floor height at the front and 16 1/2 in the rear, 24 inch wheels and center of gravity set all the way back as the pictures show.

I´ll post more pics tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

If possible, seeing you in the chair might add some clarity also.

Unfortunately, unless you ordered the adjustable back depth (~$100.00 up-charge according to the order form) you'd have to either buy a new back setup from Sunrise, or go the aftermarket route. I'm not sure the adjustable back rest from Sunrise would help, looking at the part in the catalog (p.30, part 5A/B). It appears to only adjust backward! Regardless, I went the after market route and got one of these. The price is silly for what it is, to be sure, but with the adjustable mounting hardware I have lots of options.

Here's a pic of how I mounted the Roho back ~1.5" forward of where the stock upholstery sits. Notice where the back canes are relative to where the front of the new backrest is! Setup like this effectively has me sitting in a 16.5" seat depth. I've since added D's locks and Froglegs but the back rest is in the same position. When I mounted the backrest where you see it here I also moved the wheels quite a bit forward (notice how far forward off the backstop my axle plate/bracket is clamped!) which really improved the performance of this chair.

I think "tippy" is such a relative term it's hard to truly understand what is tippy to one person vs another. I can loop this chair easliy, for sure, if I wanted to, which I don't (as I go find some wood to knock on!). If I leaned fully back and pushed moderately hard, sure, I'd go over. I guess I compensate by not leaning back all the way or pushing soft, or something. I'm speaking from my current setup, with the wheels moved forward to ~4" axle position setting and the Roho back as mentioned. Moving the axle position all the way back, with the Roho back a little forward, thiis chair is solid as a rock for me...way too solid for everyday pushing, IMHO. I like the rear wheels and the front wheels as close as possible.

If $ is no object, I'd buy an adjustable Roho back. They've also got this doohickey which is designed to go over existing upholstery to move your seating position a bit forward. Nearly 1/2 the price of the carbon seat too!

Anyway, I'm rambling. Looking forward to seeing more pics. Hope you can get it sorted. A new chair sitting and collecting dust in the closet is NO GOOD!!!

Cheers,
    Dale

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Daleb, thank you very much for your help and collaboration. It is great to run into people like you, even ocassionally. I will try to exhaust every possibility to be sure that they will find a better home. I am very grateful.

Last night I took a bunch of pictures, but I did not take one with me sitting in the chair, LOL. I just didn´t think of it. The blue chair is the GT, the grey chair is the Quickie Ti. I took a bunch of pictures with my camera so quality is not the best. I checked the backrest and no forward adjustment can be made. Tippy for me refers to the wheelchair going on a wheelie with minimum thrust. Any type of uneven terrain would be an adventure, I believe. Here are the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some more....
    Attached Images Attached Images

NP, man.

One thing I notice right away is that your Ti has a rather large, rather full looking pack under the seat. I know I must sound like a broken record but every ounce you can put in front of the axle the better.

Your back is also more open than mine is, which without a doubt a contributing factor. If you could add another .5-1" of dump and more squeeze by moving the back canes forward one notch I bet it would be more stable...though it also might feel like you're "wearing some else's shoes", so to speak! Adding dump will open your backrest angle up a touch so more squeeze might not feel that different.

Have you tried the GT with the pack mounted and your shoes on? I notice without my shoes my chair becomes a bit more tippy (I guess that may indicate that I have this chair setup on the bleeding edge of stability....hmm).

Quickie/Sunrise has already made the bracket you need. Here it is:

They call it the "amputee" axle plate because amps, obviously, have zero weight on the front of the chair and need more rearward adjustability of the axle. I bet this is prolly the cheapest, best ready-made option for you. I know you're not an amp but this is Quickie's answer for folks who need more stability.

Were it my chair and my sorting out to be done, that amputee bracket looks like a tempting option. Easy, clean, and it's OEM. This, plus a little more dump and squeeze may be just what the doctor ordered! My 2nd choice would be an aftermarket back with some depth adjustability. Roho's look cool but are priced for fools, tho they work well. Jay's are OK, a tad heavy. (Note: I include my self on the list of fools who bought a Roho back because they look cool. More money than sense, I guess. But...I'm usually broke...so...if I have more $ than sense, and never have much $, then I must be pretty dense. LOL ) In all seriousness...the Roho back helps me and has served me well, so what can I say? Just wish it weren't so pricey.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Daleb, thank you very much. This seems to be exactly what I need. I sent an email to Care Medical to see if they can get me the piece ASAP. I always wondered what that amputee option was. You have been very helpful. Thanks a bunch.

I'd second Daleb on lowering the rear STF and bringing the backrest more upright. If your injury is at T6, I have a feeling you lean back for stability when you push due to limited trunk control. This ZRa has 4" of dump was for a veteran with a high thoracic injury. He had good stability with this set up and the chair was not at all tippy.

I'm a chair user for over 50 years and hope you don't mind my 2 cents: any chance you could get the vendor out to take a look at the problem? My last TiLite came in with very wrong measurements and we had to send it back for a new one. Have you checked your original order with the chair that arrived. The suggestions given to you are fantastic - but don't forget that sometimes things like this are an issue in fabrication of the chair/plain 'ole mistake in the paperwork.