Thread: Re: Unbearable pain on my sister hands

Re: Unbearable pain on my sister hands

Hi Dr. Young,

Hope you are well. Following the pain on my sister hands and now has extended to her arm downward, both left and right. She is now on medication to relax nerves, but it seems it can't help her and her pain is getting more unbearable. Doctor said this might be caused by her lack of flexibility of her wrists (she has difficulty on moving her wrists outward unless we help fix for her), her wrists are getting a bit dislocate and it affects nerves from arms to fingers. So, according to what doctor said, does it mean it is what to be called 'neuropathic pain'? And if not, what is it about? And one more thing he guess is because of muscle under on her palm, under the thumb was hurt during car accident.

Besides, she recently gets numbness on legs and she felt the circulating blood that makes her has strange feeling of hottness. Is it something she has to live with as a SCI? Is it not a good thing?

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,
    Candy

Quote Originally Posted by Cancankwok
    Hi Dr. Young,

Hope you are well. Following the pain on my sister hands and now has extended to her arm downward, both left and right. She is now on medication to relax nerves, but it seems it can't help her and her pain is getting more unbearable. Doctor said this might be caused by her lack of flexibility of her wrists (she has difficulty on moving her wrists outward unless we help fix for her), her wrists are getting a bit dislocate and it affects nerves from arms to fingers. So, according to what doctor said, does it mean it is what to be called 'neuropathic pain'? And if not, what is it about? And one more thing he guess is because of muscle under on her palm, under the thumb was hurt during car accident.

Besides, she recently gets numbness on legs and she felt the circulating blood that makes her has strange feeling of hottness. Is it something she has to live with as a SCI? Is it not a good thing?

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,
    Candy

Candy,

Neuropathic pain is sometimes called neurogenic pain. It occurs when neuron above the injury site get hyperexcitable, as a result of losing their input. This may be because local axons sprout and occupy vacated synaptic sites, and the neurons become (1) spontaneously excitable, (2) hyperexcitable to light touch in the dermatome, (3) hyperexcitable to touch in other dermatomes. The first is neuropathic pain. The pain occurs regardless of input, often sporadically or regularly, and sometimes is described as hot, burning, cold, or pressure. The second is called allodynia. The third is called referred pain.

I am not sure what your sister has. I saw the little brusing mark on her hand but it felt soft to me and I don't think that there was any pathology in her wrist that could be accounting for the pain. However, I was impressed by the extent of her feeling in her hands. The fact that she had light touch in the tips of her thumb, index finger, and middle finger suggest strongly to me that she has C7 sensation. Please see the following web site for the areas of the hand that are innervated by the various spinal levels (Source).

The fact that this feeling is occurring in a dermatome where she has feeling tends to argue against neuropathic pain. I don't think that she has allodynia because when I touched it, she did not wince or show any other evidence of hypersensitivity to touch. One possibility is that this is something that is associated with recovery of function. Many people tell me that they feel pain in a dermatome in the weeks prior to getting function back.

Wise.

Hi Dr. Young,

Thanks for your explanation and I am more knowledgeable about neuropathic pain now and will keep close look on her.

Thanks!

Candy

When I broke my neck, my hands were the last thing to return. They were also the most painfull part of my body and swelled like balloons.
    I had to de-sensitise them using sand-paper and velcro etc.
    This did work after a while.
    C-5 incomplete , walking with crutches. In controlled pain. Respect to all SCI people.

Jonny

When you desensitized your hand pain, did it help the spontaneous pain in your hands or did it help the evoked pain from whatever kind of stimulus gets it going?

When I broke my neck, I was completely paralysed for the first couple of months. From awaking from my immidiate opperation 2 days after the accident, my hands were swollen like balloons.
    For the next 3 months, I couldn't bare anything to touch them....even the cotton sheets of my hospital bed, so I used to have to just rest them on my chest.
    My own skin was about all I could bare to touch.
    In the first 3 months, I slowly regained all muscles below my injury level....although very weak but my hands were the last thing to return.... although still weak. I have pretty good grip but to open my hands is not nearly as strong. It took about a month in O.T rubbing sand paper & velcro etc over the palms of my hands to slowly de-sensitise them.
    They're still not 100% but I can't coplain.
    I never understood your question, thats why I've told you pretty much every thing.
    Cheers
    C-5 incomplete , walking with crutches. In controlled pain. Respect to all SCI people.