Thread: Some Fear Debut of Powerful Atom Smasher

Some Fear Debut of Powerful Atom Smasher

As if I didn't already have enough things to worry about, now I read this....

(but seriously...it does kind of freak me out, although I find the science behind it very interesting)

Some fear debut of powerful atom-smasher

MEYRIN, Switzerland (AP) -- The most powerful atom-smasher ever built could make some bizarre discoveries, such as invisible matter or extra dimensions in space, after it is switched on in August.

But some critics fear the Large Hadron Collider could exceed physicists' wildest conjectures: Will it spawn a black hole that could swallow Earth? Or spit out particles that could turn the planet into a hot dead clump?

Ridiculous, say scientists at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, known by its French initials CERN -- some of whom have been working for a generation on the $5.8 billion collider, or LHC.

"Obviously, the world will not end when the LHC switches on," said project leader Lyn Evans.

David Francis, a physicist on the collider's huge ATLAS particle detector, smiled when asked whether he worried about black holes and hypothetical killer particles known as strangelets.

"If I thought that this was going to happen, I would be well away from here," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/30/doomsdaycollider.ap/index.html
    Last edited by orangejello; 06-30-2008 at 12:36 PM.

I recently read a science fiction novel called Odyssey by Jack McDevitt (2006) that dealt with the subject of a giant super collider built by Earth scientists out in space. One of the experiments called “Origins” was intended to recreate the Big Bang. Tiny, temporary black holes were an expected result of the collider’s experiments, but Origins was feared by some to result in the destruction of known space/time.

The scientists in the novel refused to admit any risk because they felt that risk was inconsequential. They gave the same arguments as this article. They were wrong, and an alien race knew it. The aliens destroyed the collider in an admonishment of Earth’s scientist’s denial.

black holes are created when a sun dies out. i can't see them creating one. will be interesting to see what does develope or is found out. maybe a worm hole to a different demension of time. cool
    oh well

Quote Originally Posted by kenf
    black holes are created when a sun dies out. i can't see them creating one. will be interesting to see what does develope or is found out. maybe a worm hole to a different demension of time. cool
    I think they may mean black hole as in a singularity. But really nobody knows for sure; at this point black holes and singularities are speculation.

And yes, a worm hole could be cool. Unless you happen to get sucked into it and die. LOL

I also thought about the possibility of a very unexpected outcome. Boom.

They may create microsingularties: black holes with an event horizon the size of a single atom. Such small black holes will evaporate almost instantly, they won't grow in size and suck up the whole earth.

To help folks feel better, remember that cosmic rays hit the earth every day with energies far exceeding what this atom smasher can generate. So if anything "bad" could happen from this device, it would have already happened in the atmosphere.

I think I was just hit by a cosmic ray. It nearly caused me to have a black hole event, I'm almost sure of it.

2012 niburu planet.google...youtube.dont panic
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Dang, this paralysis thang makes it pretty hard to bend over and kiss my a$$ goodbye
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJen
    Dang, this paralysis thang makes it pretty hard to bend over and kiss my a$$ goodbye
    Lmao (no pun intended)
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!