Thread: ILCs?

ILCs?

Hi. What exactly is an ILC? I'm not sure of the function or assistance they provide.

I ask because I'm moving to another state. Do ILCs help people find suitable apartments or homes for renting? I might need some help locating a place to live before I get there. I'm getting too old to fly from the seat of my pants and not worry about things until I'm already there.

If ILCs don't help with this kind of matter, do any agencies or programs exist that do?

I'm not talking about Section 8 or HUD, just need someone to help me find a place to rent that is accessible. And I don't need much for accessibility, I've lived in many homes that had no accessibility features.

Thanks, if this is the wrong forum, please switch it.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

While individual ILCs vary in the services they provide, by definition they are consumer-run advocacy organizations. Typical services include (but are not limited to):

Advocacy for ADA compliance
    Advocacy for other disability rights issues
    Legislative advocacy at the local and state level
    Helping people who shouldn't be in one get out of nursing homes
    Attendant referral (and sometimes training)
    Housing referral (and sometimes Section 8 coordination)
    Support and education groups
    Conferences and classes

Housing referral may just be having a list of places that have some accessible units (but no guarantee that they are available) to actual sponsorship of transitional living facilities.

You can learn more about ILCs and find links to the ones in the area in which you live (or hope to relocate) here:

http://www.ilusa.com/links/ilcenters.htm

and here:

http://www.ilru.org/index.html

(KLD)

You might check to see if there is a spinal cord injury association in the place you're hoping to move. They may also have info
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by rdf
    Hi. What exactly is an ILC? I'm not sure of the function or assistance they provide.

I ask because I'm moving to another state.
    The relevant question for the state you're planing residence in is, what is an RDF?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

jmo. ILC's have proven completely useless to me, including CA. i'm sorry, but it's a fact. you want somebody to hold your hand and offer sympathy, fine. you want real help, i've never found it there.

yes, you get lists. for example, accessible apts. guess what? they will be occupied by ab's because the apt. complex is not bound to rent them to dis or kick ab's out when a dis applies. been down that road for a few friends. neither ILC or the law can help.

you'll also get pca lists. again, not a help.

but, ILC's can help, imo, with emotional support.
    Last edited by cass; 06-29-2008 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    jmo. ILC's have proven completely useless to me, including CA. i'm sorry, but it's a fact. you want somebody to hold your hand and offer sympathy, fine. you want real help, i've never found it there.

yes, you get lists. for example, accessible apts. guess what? they will be occupied by ab's because the apt. complex is not bound to rent them to dis or kick ab's out when a dis applies. been down that road for a few friends. neither ILC or the law can help.

you'll also get pca lists. again, not a help.

but, ILC's can help, imo, with emotional support.
    Ditto.

My ILC did nothing when I was looking to move. I really don't know what their point is here in TN.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    The relevant question for the state you're planing residence in is, what is an RDF?
    Rotten Dumb Fuc*??

Thanks everybody, I figured they didn't do much, but I'll give them a call anyway just in case. I have buddies from years past I can contact to see if they know of any places to rent, etc. I best get on that starting right now, because I have a big ole streak of procrastinator in me where these types of things are concerned, and I'm way behind as it is.

Thanks for the link KLD.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!