Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: COBURN Omnibus Bill

COBURN Omnibus Bill

Well, this is interesting.

June 26, 2008

Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) is planning a “Coburn Omnibus” for July that would wrap most if not all of the bills held by Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) into one large measure to be voted on by the Senate, according to a Coburn aide and two Democratic leadership staffers.

Coburn is blocking roughly a hundred bills that are generally non-controversial or have broad support. By placing a hold, Coburn prevents the bills from passing quickly through the Senate under a unanimous consent request. With floor time at such a premium, Reid would have trouble bringing up each bill for an individual debate and vote.

But in a stroke of legislative creativity that may have no precedent, Reid could lump all of the bills into one package and bring up the Coburn Omnibus for a single vote. Coburn can still object, but the broad popularity of the bills means that there would likely be more than enough support for veto-proof passage.
    More here

Advocates on the inside, are we on this list? Is CDRPA one of the bills that will be lumped into the Coburn Omnibus bill for quick passage next month?

Please, say it's so.

Quote Originally Posted by kate

More here

Advocates on the inside, are we on this list? Is CDRPA one of the bills that will be lumped into the Coburn Omnibus bill for quick passage next month?

Please, say it's so.
    Oh, Kate. What a great idea by Reid. Wise.

Posted by Kate
    It is our understanding that the CDRPA is included in the Coburn Omnibus Bill. The expectation is that it will be considered in July.

When this collection of legislation is brought up in the Senate for debate as a package, you can bet there will be compromises. So, if you are currently working your Senator to co-sponsor the CDRPA, do not stop.

There are not significant issues about the CDRPA to drop it when the debates begin. Nothing, that is, other than a lack of enthusiasm. I would encourage you to contact your Senators whether or not they are already a co-sponsor. Let them know, this is important legislation.

My suggestion on timing would be right after the 4th of July recess.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Quote Originally Posted by kate

More here

Please, say it's so.
    Yes, it looks like we are, Kate. It will still be a battle for passage, though. John is spot on. More cosponsors are needed--the goal is 60 and we are at 35. Todd Phillips has been leading the initiative to add co-sponsors. Anyone wanting to help and does not know what to do, please contact him at Todd@unite2fightparalysis.org

Woo hoo!

This is terrific news, and just in time . . . we need to make those calls, everybody.

Todd@unite2fightparalysis.org

This is Todd, our amazing friend who was the emcee at the last w2w event. Shoot him an email; he'd love to have some more help.

GOOD news from Todd this morning:

Dear Team,

We have added a new co-sponsor to the CDRPA!!! Sen Debbie Stabenow from Michigan is now on the bill, joining her fellow Senator Carl Levin as a supporter of this legislation.

Keep up the great work everybody. If you haven't already, please drop me an email to let me know what your progress is and where I can help you figure out some strategies to reach out to other offices.

We have enlisted the help of Senator Clinton's and Senator Dodd's offices to reach out to their colleagues in the Democratic Party. We hope that all of these incremental steps, will lead to a huge jump in co-sponsorship.

Our Goal: at least 60 co-sponsors
    We have: 37 including Sen. Harkin as the lead sponsor

Best wishes,

Todd Phillips
    Are you one of the people who wants to see Stephen Davies' lab go faster? Then give Todd a shout and offer to make a couple of phone calls. 23 senators to go, about a month to do it. DOABLE.

Todd@unite2fightparalysis.org

I will get right on it. I am contacting Sen. Coleman and Klobuchar from Minnesota. They are both sponsors but maybe they can express the need to pass this thing (especially Coleman since he is running for re-election).

I needed this good news today-thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by john smith
    It is our understanding that the CDRPA is included in the Coburn Omnibus Bill. The expectation is that it will be considered in July.

When this collection of legislation is brought up in the Senate for debate as a package, you can bet there will be compromises. So, if you are currently working your Senator to co-sponsor the CDRPA, do not stop.

There are not significant issues about the CDRPA to drop it when the debates begin. Nothing, that is, other than a lack of enthusiasm. I would encourage you to contact your Senators whether or not they are already a co-sponsor. Let them know, this is important legislation.

My suggestion on timing would be right after the 4th of July recess.

John
    Thanks for the update!

legislation

Is the bill in the Senate have to with medicare cuts?

Quote Originally Posted by eversonsail
    Is the bill in the Senate have to with medicare cuts?
    not sure what bill your talking about

coburn bill is about many of the bills he has holds on

yesterday medicare vote was on doctors pay as i understood it.
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."