Thread: Next Mars Mission: Terraform the Planet

Next Mars Mission: Terraform the Planet

Martian Soil Resembles That in Veggie Gardens
    Richard A. Lovett
    for National Geographic News
    June 26, 2008

Soil near the north pole of Mars is surprisingly Earthlike, with a pH not unlike many vegetable gardens, according to preliminary results from the Phoenix Mars Lander.

"You might be able to grow asparagus in it, but strawberries, probably not very well," said Samuel Kounaves, a chemistry professor at Tufts University, during a NASA press conference this afternoon. [...]
    We'll probably be trying to grow a vegetable garden on the next Mars mission. Maybe even plant a tree?
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

That's why I want to live 200 years from now. Mars will be turned into a second Earth-like planet at some point. Add to the heavy CO2 atmosphere and bombard the planet with more greenhouse gases to warm it up, both which will perpetuate (greenhouse effect) until the planet is warm enough, and the frozen CO2 will thaw, increasing warmth, and when it gets warm enough more indigenous Oxygen will be released. We might be able to plant algae and moss soon to start creating Oxygen, until the level is achieved where more advanced vegetation can be planted.

Of course this isnt' all that's needed, and overly simplified, but to me it's doable.

Oh well, I was born way too early in history. Maybe I'll come back as a Martian...I can only hope
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

who's to say a few billion years ago , that there was not life there.
    oh well

"Here's how it is.......Earth got used up"
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

"I'm starting to find this whole planet very uninviting" anyway.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

water alone doesnt mean life.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."