Thread: Surviving a severe brain injury

Surviving a severe brain injury

Surviving a severe brain injury

June 24, 2008

More than 20 years ago, at the age of 23, I sustained a severe Acquired Traumatic Brain Injury in a head-on car crash.
    I was a passenger wearing my seatbelt in the back seat of the car.
    In the car crash. my brain went forward and backwards, injuring my brain.
    I also sustained a spinal cord injury, a broken lower back (it is fused with a rod and clamps), a stroke on the right side of my brain and other problems.
    A brain injury may occur in only one part of the brain – Local damage – or the injury may damage many parts of the brain, which is Diffuse damage.
    My injury happened in many parts of the brain, hence Diffuse damage.
    My brain injury is in all areas, except I do not have damage to the Occipital Lobe.
    My long-term memory – remembering things before my injury – is fine.
    My short-term memory, on the other hand, is impaired.
    Since my injury, sometimes I forget people’s names, what I just read, what I just heard or when talking I forget what I am talking about, or sometimes I can’t get out the word I want to say.
    To remember I have to repeat things over and over again.
    When trying to remember a person’s name, I associate that person’s name with another person I know with the same name, and it works.
    Other problems I have are muscle weakness, balance problems, tremors (shaking of my right hand and right leg), frustration and physical and mental fatigue – when I concentrate on doing a task either physically or mentally, I get tired very quickly as it takes more energy to do things after a brain injury.
    There’s also dizziness, and I can only do one task at a time.
    I have speech problems but I still understand language. My speech gets worse as the day goes on.
    I went to university before my injury.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_north/.../20727054.html

Thanks for sharing, Max...I also suffered a TBI myself and am still having problems with my brain but I've learned some coping skills to keep myself from driving myself crazy when I tend to forget things...Trying to remember things I have to do, I write it down on the board in the kitchen or carry a pad of paper/pen with me...keeping focus on a task and getting it right is work for me...One moment I'm in a room knowing I have to go to another room to get an item and then when I'm in that room to get it, I forget what I came into that room to get...that sucks...or someone distracts me and I forget where I drop something that was in my hand at that time...it's frustrating when I can see what I want to say in my head but to get it out in words is another thing...
    All I can do is hang in there and do the best I can...and try not get frustrated since it only makes it worse...PM me if you like...

What about rehab

You both remind me of clients that I see everyday. What did you do for rehab and treatment transitioning to post acute. I am seeing more and more soldiers returning from active duty with brain injuries and want to be able to direct them in directions to get care after release from the hospitals. Although my center provides care for folks in the post acute arena, we do get alot of referals from out of the region and I want to be able to give them some direction

of all the x-rays i had (probally 3" pile lol) when i was hurt , 3/4 of them were of my head. funny , now i have them all on CD's. they were worried about TBI. had some spots where there was blood in there , but over time it gets absorbed. when i was a little better , they gave me tests to rule it out.
    oh well

It seems overwhelming to have to deal with the types of issues you're experiencing, Max.

Like Jersey said, maybe you would benefit from post-acute, or chronic care treatment.

This is a link to more information about chronic treatment for TBI survivors. I hope it helps.
    http://www.brainandspinalcord.org/tr...tbi/index.html

Rewiring

Toshiba has cognitive retraining software that is also age-appropriate.
    Cognitive retraining has been proven to be encouraging when the senses are engaged. A seemingly laughable enriched environment: etch-a sketch + cozy seat + music + air freshener + a light snack. At a fundamental level, the repairee is motivated to recover from feeling empty and damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by harley-lynn
    Thanks for sharing, Max...I also suffered a TBI myself and am still having problems with my brain but I've learned some coping skills to keep myself from driving myself crazy when I tend to forget things
    I know how hard it . My Dad had stroke in 1995...And it was similar to TBI...Lots of rage trying to remember/ do/speak things out...

I was hit 2ce by iron bar in the back of my scull during robbery and sci 0n 28 of July 1995.
    When I was taken to the hospital almost DOA I had couple mini strokes.
    I find it difficult now doing multitasking and distractions drive me nuts.

But I deal with it by structuring my time and day.

I also tend to forget names of things and people. But if I'm calming myself with deep breathing and prayer they come back later.

Good Luck to you