Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tale of young boys!

If you think he is being financially abused or his care neglected, you can file a report with Adult Protective Services. If they agree that this is the situation, they can take action to remove him from his home or appoint a financial guardian. If he does not know how to manage his life, some of that money should be spent to get him back into a rehab program (either inpatient or outpatient) someplace like Shepherd where he can learn what he should have learned when he was first injured.

He is an adult. He can also get an attorney and sue his family and change the terms of the financial arrangements. If you know him, you should help him with this.

(KLD)

A CIL can help him accomplish all of this -- living skills, self advocacy, etc. VR can help pay for an education and marketable skills.

His mom appears to be a leech. If he is a minor, call child protective services. If he's an adult, call adult protective services if he is being abused and/or neglected by his caregiver. It his doctor is aware of the situation she/he is mandated by law to report it to the appropriate agency. You might need to report the doc so that the doc will report the mom. HIPPA does protect his privacy, so if the situation is "simply" unfortunate instead of rising to the level of abuse/neglect, prepare an informational packet of advocacy agencies in your region and leave it for them and him.

Just some ideas, don't know if any of them are workable for the situation. Good luck.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

My contact is our same Dr (physiatrist?). I believe that she is trying to help him. Maybe she will give me his phone #? Some way or another I will try and help him. I can't help but feel that his is like an abused dog trapped in a cage with no way out. When his brother's are a little older (18 or less), I am sure that they will set him free.

Thanks for your concern.

JJG
    Jake's Pop

Doesn't Alabama have a system within the Adult Protection Services to anonomoulsy report potiential abuse. Maybe several can make the call if so. In FL the disabled, young and old, are covered under Department of Children and Families, where in one can make the call and there is an investgation.

Angry gov. agencies

Dear All;

I am sure AL and Ga have all these gov. agencies to protect him. I will provide this info. to his Dr. I have no access to him. His mother keeps him locked up in bed, and she moves him back and forth between Ga. and AL. She is shured.

Have a nice vacation.

JJG
    Jake's Pop

Shured????

I think, reading the context of her moving him back and forth between AL and GA, giambjj meant to say SHREWD, as in being cunning and clever. That's even lower than I could have imagined. You got to call in the hounds of hell, every state agency that would have even the slightest interest in this needs to be involved! This is saddening beyond description, and hard as it's gonna be, you need to stand up and advocate for him, and get the legal authorities in both Alabama (State Police, I think) and GA (Georgia Bureau of Investigation) involved. It might not end there, but sure as hell something will start there. Good luck!

Tom

yes I ment SHREWD or cunning. I will see what I can do, but I have to go through his Dr. His mother continues to move him around to escape the law.
    Jake's Pop

Why do you have to go through his physician? In my state, anyone can make a report of concern to Adult Protective or Child Protective Services, and they are required by law to inventigate.

(KLD)

KLD, Is that physician not a mandated reporter? Why has she/he not done something like call APS?
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.