Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tale of young boys!

Angry Tale of young boys!

Some years back, two young teenage boys were injured in separate high school athletic events. Both receive the same $5 million dollar life insurance policy, obtained from the state high school athletic association. Both boys were from divorced families and were mostly raised by their mothers. One family (father, mother, and sister) gave whatever they could (love, time, money, etc.) to see that their C4-5 son would have a more enjoyable and productive life. After many years of PT, he has recovered significant use of his upper body. The first boy hopes to enter a prestigious law school next year. I know the first boy intimately.

The second boy’s life has not been nearly as kind. His family has neglected their C5-6 son. For several years he has had a serious pressure sore on his buttock, because his parents never bought him a Hoyer lift, which his insurance policy would have paid for. They just dragged him from the bed to his wheel chair on a wooden board. He has never been to a PT and has lost some of his remaining function. He has been bed ridden for some time as a result of the pressure wound. He was never given the opportunity to finished high school, although he was just as intelligent as the first boy. His parent’s will soon place him in a government run nursing home, probably for the rest of his life! I have never met this poor soul, however, when I think of his fate, through no fault of his own, I cry. I hope that someday there is a cure for his condition! He needs it much more than my son or any paralyzed person could.
    Jake's Pop

Without using real names giambjj (to protect yourself and the innocent) how old is this boy? Did his family end up with his money somehow ... is this about the money?? I guess I'm not understanding how it could happen or continue to happen if someone knew for a fact it was going on and reported it (the neglect I mean) ! This is beyond sad ..... there must be such a thing as an advocate for a child in these circumstances ? What an awful situation ... what on earth is wrong with this family ??

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I'd like to know more as well. What happened to #2's 5 million?

poor boy

He is 21 and now gets $2,000/ month from the policy until the remainder of the funds are gone. He has already used up the $1 million limit for HHC. He now gets 40/week of HHC from the state Medicade. His LPNs should have turned his mother over to the DHR. His father gave up his 3 children years ago and his mother just wore out. Maybe another gov or chartiable (church) agency, family, or friend can help clear up his pressure sore, get him a lift, and keep him from the nursing home. Somebody needs to take him into their home for the $2000/month with nursing help from the medicade benefits.

JJG
    Jake's Pop

Keanu Reeves Character in Parenthood put it very well...

"You know, Mrs. Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, or drive a car. Hell, you need a license to catch a fish! But they'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a [parent]."
    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Quote Originally Posted by giambjj
    He is 21 and now gets $2,000/ month from the policy until the remainder of the funds are gone.
    The money is HIS. His family can't "put" him anywhere without his consent. Realistically, it wouldn't be at all surprising if this young man had no idea how to help himself though, poor guy didn't even get to finish high school. However, he needs to start asserting himself and at least try to recover some sort of life. I wish him the best.

C.

Is there a center for independent living in the area? They can help him advocate for himself and develop the skills to care for and advocate for himself. A person can make a life on $2K a month and appropriate aide hours. Glad you're in his corner.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Angry poor boy

Thanks for your suggestions. His mother was given a low interest loan on a new house, but they lost it, becasue she did not make the payments. I do not have his contact info, I only know of him because his nurse and Dr. are the same as my son's. They cannot give me his contact info, because of the Hippa rule. He is 21 now and has a GED. His insurance company will pay his college tuition. There is a college in the same town as his. He has 2 brothers 14 and 12. Hopefully, some gov. agency, family, or friend will take all 3 boys away from her. His Dr. should step in as well. He must see her every year for a check up or he will lose his insurance and disability funds.

JJG
    Jake's Pop

It's sad that someone who ends up with SCI is treated badly by so-called loved ones...I know what it's like...it sucks not having support from family...Hope he can get his life together and get the help he so much needs...

$2K a month, appropriate aide hours, insurance coverage

Yes in Ga he can have an apartment and basic necessities for $2k/month. Yes he does not know how to take care of himself or what his rights are. Yes he needs to call some gov agency to remove him from his home. His insurance will pay for his college education, treatment of all his diseases, and a hoyer lift. His mother refuses all help and is living off him. She parties most nights and leaves him with younger brothers to care for him. This is criminal.
    Jake's Pop