Thread: Disability no barrier for new mom Specialty group researching needs of disabled paren

Disability no barrier for new mom Specialty group researching needs of disabled paren

Disability no barrier for new mom

Specialty group researching needs of disabled parents

Posted By BY ANDREA GORDON, THE CANADIAN PRESS

Posted 1 day ago

Anita Kaiser has several striking memories from the aftermath of the 1996 car crash that altered her life.
    One was a few weeks after doctors told her she would never walk again.
    Kaiser, then 24, had been instantly paralyzed from the chest down. With a writing splint and black marker strapped to her hand, she scrawled the phrase, "Malcolm and Mariah say hi." They were her chosen names for the baby boy or girl she hoped to one day raise.
    "It was the very first thing I wrote down and I wanted it to be significant," recalls Kaiser. "Even though it looked like a two-year-old's Halloween writing."
    Twelve years later, five-month-old Olivia wriggles on the floor under her baby gym as her mother recounts the story in the family's condo in Richmond Hill, north of Toronto.
    Kaiser's taste in names has changed over the years, but her determination hasn't.
    "I always wanted to have kids and I knew we could do it," she says. "There's no reason a woman with a spinal cord injury can't go on to bear children."
    Adults with disabilities can be as capable and successful as able-bodied parents, Kaiser says, as long as there are devices, resources and services for support. She wants to be an example.
    In the last six months, Kaiser has not only become a mother, she has also secured her place as a researcher and advocate for parents with disabilities. The same week Olivia was born in January, she also delivered her master's thesis in rehabilitation science at the University of Toronto. Her thesis examined the needs of parents with spinal cord injuries.
    Last week, a colleague presented that research to a conference of the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists in Whitehorse, attended by 300 professionals from Canada and abroad. The study, which involved 12 mothers and fathers with spinal cord injuries, is unique in a field where there has been little research.
    About 36,000 Canadians are living with spinal cord injuries, according to the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, which supported Kaiser's education through a scholarship. Roughly 100 new cases occur each year, and most are among people in their childbearing years. While some are already parents, a growing number are choosing to start families post-injury.

http://www.thesudburystar.com/Articl...aspx?e=1085024

I once saw a program about a woman who was paralyzed with limited use of her arms, but she was still able to give birth to a child and raise him with the help of her husband. I think people often have the idea that so many things are out of reach for spinal cord injury survivors, but really the only thing that may change is how the person needs to go about reaching that goal.

ok. taking a deep breath. first, it's good to hear stories are being reported on this.

BUT. disabled women have been having kids for quite a while now and yes, being single moms. sigh. there are dis dads out there (lots) but i don't think most of them gave birth there's a mom with no arms at all who uses feet to change diapers, etc. prob more than one!

anyway, i just don't understand why ppl are still amazed. guess we just need to get the word out it's been going on for years. i don't know.