Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A day of gawdawful pain

A day of gawdawful pain

You know how some days are good and some not so good when it comes to pain? Saturday was a not so good day. I had a lot of pain.

Sunday started out okay, but went steadily downhill. It was the worst day of pain I can remember ever enduring! There was icy fire throughout my torso. The spasms down my right leg were nearly constant. My right calf felt like it was caught in a vise grip. I had dry heaves, sweats, and chills. Going to the hospital crossed my mind, but dieing at home was preferable at the time. I did not want to move or be moved.

I took enough drugs to get a decent amount of sleep, and awoke Monday morning feeling pretty good. I got showered and dressed to attend a class. While putting on my shoes I realized I could feel a couple of toes on my LEFT foot. As I wiggled my foot into the shoe my toes rubbed together, and I could feel it!

All the pain was on my right side. My bad side. My left leg is strongest but has the least sensation. I can't feel much of a touch, or any temperature on the left side -- but now I can feel 3 toes wiggling, for the first time in 5 years!

Do we credit the pain?
    I'm sorry you hurt so bad! But congrats on feeling the 3 toes!
    That's way cool!

I don't know if I can credit the pain for the recovery. I'm baffled!

That's so weird. All my return came with giant pain ushering it in! I actually went to the ER once. Another time, in rehab, TIRR sent me for a CAT scan because I couldn't get up suddenly. My right fingers started twitching the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFla
    I don't know if I can credit the pain for the recovery. I'm baffled!
    My thoughts are that it wasn;t the pain CAUSING the return, but when you were getting return, as well as just feeling these new areas, they HURT!
    Last edited by sjean423; 06-24-2008 at 08:24 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    That's so weird. All my return came with giant pain ushering it in! I actually went to the ER once. Another time, in rehab, TIRR sent me for a CAT scan because I couldn't get up suddenly. My right fingers started twitching the next week.
    You experienced something similar to this? Glad I am not alone. It was really weird to awake with this new sensation in my toes. Mr. SoFla asked if it felt normal. I could not answer. I forgot what normal is.

I can feel the arch of my foot now, too. Funny, though, it is starting to be annoying. It is almost like there are more parts of my body with sandpaper scraping my bones, muscles, and skin.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    My thoughts are that it wasn;t the pain CAUSING the return, but when you were getting return, as well as just feeling these new areas, they HURT!
    The thing is, my pain was down my right side. The recovery was on the left. Absolutely baffeling! It makes no sense.

SoFla,
    This has happened to me several times. It would last a couple of days and then bam more return. It is very strange but I think that is the brain and cord making a new connection.

I wish my pains signalled recovery, but they don't. I'm glad pain leads to a positive outcome for some of us.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I can not believe what has happened to my body this week! It is as if the excruciating pain I experienced 7 days ago was a tiny neuron beating the crap out of me in its attempt to break lose from wherever it was being held hostage. Well, that little bugger made its escape, and is now working some magic.

Today I had a massage. I could actually FEEL her touch throughout most of my left leg, her hand bumping on the heel of my foot, and the foot massage. I could hardly stop giggling long enough to really enjoy the massage!