Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worlds largest environmental disaster

Worlds largest environmental disaster

I would gather that the Columbia River drainage and the hydroelectric power generation is the biggest environmental disaster in the world. Name ONE oil spill that has caused this kind of disaster.... CO2... Get real.

Yes was watching 60 minutes. I know that the river that I grew up on, Kootenai which is the primary headwater of the Columbia has a damn that has completely ruined the river ecologically.

Its sad

Whether it's "the biggest" is up for debate but you're right - hydroelectric power has far-reaching negative effects. The Columbia dams where built full speed ahead with little regard to consequence. Even worse watching countries like China building Three Gorges Dam with modern-day ignorant disregard to the environment.

Nuclear power plants are going to be the fruit of the "Stamp out Co2" movement, ironically. Both candidates are allies with the industry and ready to build. Add to the long list of nuclear's down sides the forever need of The Military to protect facilities, the nuclear waste and control proliferation. What if Iran wants to curb their Co2 emissions and pop up a few...should be fine, right?

I´d say the garbage patch in the pacific is the biggest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_P..._Garbage_Patch
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

have to go with the Russia nuke accident , it's still leaking from the crappy job the did trying to seal it. the Valdez is up there too.
    oh well

Quote Originally Posted by kenf
    have to go with the Russia nuke accident , it's still leaking from the crappy job the did trying to seal it. the Valdez is up there too.

What lasting effects are there from the Valdez spill? I have spent lots of time in prince willy sound.

industrial revolution

at the time it was and for many years later. i could never understand when there is an oil spill , why they just don't light it as soon as it happens.
    oh well

Why not burn it off?

Because the point of trying to contain and clean up an oil spill is to minimize the resulting pollution. Lighting it and letting the combustion products just mix freely into the air and water is not an effective way to do that.

Additionally, spilled oils can vary greatly in their viscosity and flammability. Some might be difficult to get to burn freely while others might create an enormous safety hazard to responding workers, in addition to the resulting pollution.

Just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by bcripeq
    I would gather that the Columbia River drainage and the hydroelectric power generation is the biggest environmental disaster in the world. Name ONE oil spill that has caused this kind of disaster.... CO2... Get real.
    Hydroelectric power schemes can have alarge ecological impact but that impact is more localised than the effect of greenhouse gases which cause global warming, which is global.

Adrian, we just dont agree on man causing global warming. Heck I am beginning to even question global warming.