Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Road Trip!

Not me unfortunately but my son. He's flying back to the midwest for a family visit and although he doesn't know it he will be returning with a car. A very old but well-maintained low-milage car of his own. His dad will be his co-pilot.

So, I want to at least give him a road trip care package. It will be waiting in his car. I'm sending gas money with his dad. They will make it a 3-day drive from the midwest back home.

So far I have jerky (the ultimate road trip food) monster drinks (his fave) a cooler for his car , packs of Armour wipes and I'm putting together a CD of road music. He likes classic rock.

Any suggestions for either the care package or the cd?
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Battery cables! (Ya just never know!)
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Sunglasses, if he doesn;t take them on the visit anyway. Regular wipes (for him. not the upholstery .....). Flashlight.

Sounds like fun. Also sounds like your relationship with him is improving some?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

AAA. For YOUR peace of mind, now and forever! (Get the multiple-tow package.)
    Twizzlers. Sunflower seeds. An insulated water jug.
    I have lots of road trip music suggestions but it's a matter of preference.

For classic rock road trips:

Turn the Page or even the whole Silver Bullet Live CD-Bob Seger
    Radar Love-Golden Earring
    James Dean-The Eagles
    Lotsa Led Zep 2 and 4
    GNR Greatest Hits, the whole thing

And this is weird, but I like Jesus Christ Superstar for travel. My son does too. Gives you something to ponder.

I just realized that these were 8-tracks, my first big road trip, KS to CA!
    Last edited by betheny; 06-22-2008 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    Battery cables! (Ya just never know!)
    Nice Lynne....ROFLMAO....Why don't you just get a tow truck for INS. LOL

Am just messing with ya.....lol
    Art

Water, matches and lighter, blankets and pillows...
    just in case.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Great suggestions so far! Thanks!

CD-wise I've got Radar Love, Born to be Wild, The Joker, and a few more he loves so far. Crazy, he acts like these are all new. I can't tell him what I was doing when I first heard most of them LOL

So, do you think I'm just being a lame mom or what? The last thing I want to do is interfer somehow and push him away again. Since my last illness, he's coming around more but it's still fragile.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Au contraire! You're being an AWESOME mom!

A slight improvement on Nov's idea-I just remembered I always had a sleeping bag in the trunk. And I'm not gonna say why! (Also, I recall sleeping in my car on occasion.)

A safety kit, with flares, etc. is always good. Back pre-cellphones, with my junkers, I had to have a toolbox in the trunk. Wow, this is taking me back to the olden days!

Husband suggest Eighteen-Alice Cooper, (and I used to like Long Way to Paradise) any Eagles or Skynyrd.

Oh! Meatloaf! Bat Out of Hell!

Whoo, this is fun.

A good insurance policy with "PAID" stamped on it....

Okay, so that was a killjoy. I second the extra CD's, cooler w/drinks and jerky. Dunno where exactly the start and finish line is and what cities they'll be passing thru, but maybe some kinda tickets to some event somewhere along the way? Did you say THREE whole days? That ain't the Midwest dear, it can't be! (To my way of thinking Ohio or Indiana is NOT the Midwest, its the East)

maybe you could Google one of the cities (say, Memphis or St. Louis for example) and some calendar of events and order up tickets for same?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    That ain't the Midwest dear, it can't be! (To my way of thinking Ohio or Indiana is NOT the Midwest, its the East)
    I never understood that either. It kills me.
    Midwest should be (and is!) the center of the United States...
    Middle America. Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, etc.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash