Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem buying a new house

I had the same problems recently when I purchased a new home in NJ. I gave the builder a list of modifications that I wanted done, the biggest being the bathroom which was not accessible at all, and asked them to please give me the additional costs for doing them. They told me they would not make any modifications at all. So I said that I would call my attorney and get back to them with my legal rights under ADA compliance. That was all it took, they said tell us what you need done. I told them what I wanted done and they gave me the additional costs.

You have rights, don't let get away with doing nothing, or as little as they possibly can. I even called the township building office because the builder at one point told me the home plan was already approved at the township and could not be changed. It all BS they just don't want to be inconvenienced in any way.

Good luck, and don't give in.

Riz
    C-5 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Quad62 View Post
    SoFla, thanks. I am not well versed in ADA either. However, so far no one has said with any surety from their knowledge/experience that ADA requires the developer to accommodate the changes I need. I will try to find out and see where it leads. About the carpets, they have a tile/hardwood upgrade available. So, that is not a problem.
    CA has some legal guidelines for Fair Housing that are equal or stronger than the federal guidelines. How are you financing? FHA loans force the builder to make the necessary adaptions and to get them per code. FHA will not allow a closing if the grades, etc are not right. Actually, they will put money is escorol until the builder completes the mandated changes.

I urge you to contact your local DBTAC
    Every day I wake up is a good one

i went through that exact same thing in ohio when i built my condo 2 yrs ago

Quote Originally Posted by Riz View Post
    I had the same problems recently when I purchased a new home in NJ. I gave the builder a list of modifications that I wanted done, the biggest being the bathroom which was not accessible at all, and asked them to please give me the additional costs for doing them. They told me they would not make any modifications at all. So I said that I would call my attorney and get back to them with my legal rights under ADA compliance. That was all it took, they said tell us what you need done. I told them what I wanted done and they gave me the additional costs.

You have rights, don't let get away with doing nothing, or as little as they possibly can. I even called the township building office because the builder at one point told me the home plan was already approved at the township and could not be changed. It all BS they just don't want to be inconvenienced in any way.

Good luck, and don't give in.

Riz
    C-5 incomplete
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

"I even called the township building office because the builder at one point told me the home plan was already approved at the township and could not be changed. It all BS they just don't want to be inconvenienced in any way."

Actually, once the drawings are approved by the township any changes would have to be resubmitted. When the drawings are approved the builder has to build accordingly.

i got really lucky bought a foreclousre all doors 36" rollinshower i couldn/t belive my eyes
    when i went in too master . i ripped up carpet have concrete floors love it

When you need something done, don't take "no" too easily... squeaky wheel gets the grease... ask, ask, and request, request... you never know which of the people will say "yes".

Good luck.
    "Always look at the bright side of life...."

Thanks for the advice for him I also learn from it...