Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Numbness in my pinky and half of my ring finger?

Numbness in my pinky and half of my ring finger?

hi all, dont know if this is place to put it.

For the last 2 week ive had numbing to my pinky and the outer side of my ring finger on my left hand, at first i thought i had trapped a nerve or something and hoped it would go away.
    But it has gotten worse now, its hard to explain, its similar to pins and needles sensation but also numb.

Any idea what it is? Im gonna get ,myself to the docs this weekend hopefully he will sort it.

It is probably your ulnar nerve in your elbow, are you leaning on your elbow a lot or using it to push up or balance with.

I have had this and several people here, it's one of those questions that comes up every so often.

It controls the feeling in that side of your hand/arm and the pinky and ring finger like you describe.
    Last edited by Cory-M; 06-20-2008 at 12:07 PM.

Only thing i can think of is the arm rest in my car, i tend to just leave my arm there.
    Other than that i cant think of anything, will book a spot in the docs and get it looked at, its more annoying than anything.

Welcome to the board Dave. I hope it goes away soon.

Mona

Hi Dave, and welcome. What level is your injury?

Mine is that way from damage to c5-6. If yours just started suddenly, get to a neuro quick.

This sounds like classic ulnar nerve entrapment. Resting your elbows on your armrests, in bed, or leaning on them a lot when sitting at a table is a common cause. You need to get elbow pads right away, take an NSAID if OK with your physician, and give it some time. If it does not improve, you need to get a consultation with your physician and an EMG to determine where the damage is (usually at the elbow) and to see if surgery is required.

(KLD)

Nulmbness in Pinkie and ring finger

I was just looking up this problem. It has been the case with me for the last month or so. As I am reading the blogs over and over again leaning on your elbow or hitting it was repeatedly mentioned. As I am reading this I am leaning on the elbow in question. I recently came out to California and for the first time in a long time have had access to a computer. I have been on it for a good hour to an hour and a half every day. I am also always leaning on my left elbow. Never put two and two together. I had a good chuckle and am going to try to correct that when I do it. I really expect this to go away. I don't think I would have made the connection for a while. Thanks for the imput.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    This sounds like classic ulnar nerve entrapment. Resting your elbows on your armrests, in bed, or leaning on them a lot when sitting at a table is a common cause. You need to get elbow pads right away, take an NSAID if OK with your physician, and give it some time. If it does not improve, you need to get a consultation with your physician and an EMG to determine where the damage is (usually at the elbow) and to see if surgery is required.

(KLD)
    I had noticed my forearms getting smaller and my PCP sent me to a neurologist. After am EMG, the doctor told me I had damaged my ulnar nerve in both arms after walking so many years with forearm crutches. He told me no sleeping on my side with my hands at the head, no propping my head in my hand when in my chair and no putting my hands behind my head when sitting in my recliner. I stopped doing all three of these and my forearms are going back to normal. He told me he could operate, but it only had a 40% success rate and he would not recommend it.

Good luck with yours.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

I have severe ulnar nerve issues that began with a ganglion cyst compressing the nerve at the wrist - you might want to have an EMG to see where along that nerve tract the damage is coming from. In the meantime, anything you can do to remove strain from your ulnar nerve will be a plus.

Millard's suggestions are excellent, and I can especially relate to the one about sleep position. A PT told me to roll up a towel, secure the roll with rubber bands, and use it as a "sleeve" around my arm at night - a gentle reminder not to bend the elbow at an acute angle during sleep, which really puts pressure and strain on the ulnar nerve. You can get a molded elbow brace from an orthotist, OT or hand therapist - but the brace is not as comfortable as the towel. I only had to use the towel for a few nights, as it didn't take long to train myself to a straight(er)-armed sleep position.

Hope you can get some relief. A visit to your doctor or a physiatrist would probably be a good idea - the sooner you can find out what's actually causing the nerve damage, the better your chances of recovering function.