Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17x17 85 Deg TiLite ZRa-c Pics

17x17 85 Deg TiLite ZRa-c Pics

This is one I spec'd out as a first chair for a recently injured veteran who became paraplegic.

Here are the specs...

- 17x17 TiLite ZRA-c
    - 85 Degree Front Angle
    - V front end with 11" footrest Width
    - 16" Seat-to-Footrest Length (Spec)
    - 17.5" Seat-to-Footrest Length (Actual)
    - Seat-To-Floor Heights: 20.5 Front/16.5" Rear
    - COG: 3.25"
    - Rear Wheel Spacing: 1"
    - 2 Degrees Camber
    - Standard Carbon Fiber Side Guards w/ Quad Hole
    - 5" x1" Billet Aluminum Casters w/ Soft Roll Tire
    - 26"x1" Spinergy SLX Wheels with Schwalbe Marathon Evolution Plus tires
    - NaturalFit Handrims

A major reason I like to post pics of custom titanium rigid frames is that I learn something new from every one I do.

This was the first TiLite I ordered with the new "User-Friendly Anti-Tip". While there may be a slight amount of additional weight, I must admit it is pretty cool. By pushing down on the receiver (at the "Ti" logo), the anti-tip can be rotated up out of the way. If one has decent hand function, a low enough back height, and is mindful of their COG, they can be flipped up while sitting in the chair (If the user is not mindful of their chair's COG, it may be the entire wheelchair that flips up). They can still be removed like traditional anti-tips, but swing up high enough to be able to pull the chair across one's lap without having to take them off.

This was also the first TiLite I've ordered with carbon fiber side guards since they resumed production last year. In addition to their lighter weight, there is an extra piece of material used to reinforced where the panel bolts to the mounting bracket. The extra material moves the panel out an additional 1/8" compared to the aluminum sideguards--enough to fold down the back without having to removing them.

Unless someone decided to configure this ZRa to spin around in a counterclockwise direction as quickly as possible, TiLite made a rather surprising error during production. They mounted the Schwalbe's so that tread pattern points the wrong direction on the left wheel! C'mon TiLite, two rights don't make it right! Right?

No concern of mine, however, the veteran who received this chair has already learned to change tires as part of his rehab and will remount the tire himself within the next day or so. He has one of the best attitudes I've seen in quite some time with respect to his rehabilitation and eagerness to get on with life. Hopefully, this ZRa will play a small, but helpful role in enabling him to do just that.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 06-19-2008 at 11:57 PM.

Awesome looking chair...and I am glad he has such a positive attitude. I wish he did not have to go through what he went through, but his attitude speaks volumes about the kind of guy he is.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

nice chair! my next chair gonna be a ti lite fer sure

Smile 26" wheels?

Hi SCI_OTR,

Those are close to the specs for my chair, which is a 16x18, 85° ZRa. Why did you go with 26" (590) wheels? I am 6'6" tall and am using 25" (559) wheels, but I keep wondering about the advantages of using bigger wheels.

Steve

It does look nice butt i hate the "look" of the casters compared to my 5inch froglegs softroll casters...

Quote Originally Posted by steeeve
    Hi SCI_OTR,

Those are close to the specs for my chair, which is a 16x18, 85° ZRa. Why did you go with 26" (590) wheels? I am 6'6" tall and am using 25" (559) wheels, but I keep wondering about the advantages of using bigger wheels.

Steve
    He's 6'2" and frankly there is a possibility we might end up swapping them out. I actually tried to change the order to 559's, but TiLite ended up shipping the chair over a week ahead of the projected ship date. He is able to push faster than me on flat surfaces, and his handrim access appears pretty good, but we will see whether they require too much torque on grades.

TiLite ZRa-c?? How can a ZR be both a "c" (custom) and "a" (adjustable)? I thought these were mutually exclusive labels. TiLite designates the ZR sereis as "ZR" (the "c" is implied) and "ZRa". But I'm sure you're right, so learn me the distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212
    TiLite ZRa-c?? How can a ZR be both a "c" (custom) and "a" (adjustable)? I thought these were mutually exclusive labels. TiLite designates the ZR sereis as "ZR" (the "c" is implied) and "ZRa". But I'm sure you're right, so learn me the distinction.
    ZRa = Adjustable. Tapered Front End
    ZR = Limited Adjustability. Tapered Front End
    ZRa-c = Adjustable w/ "C" Package (Tapered seat and/or "V" Front End)
    ZRc = Limited Adjustability w/ "C" Package (Tapered seat and/or "V" Front End)

Cool chair!

Damn, I wish my insurance would cover a titanium chair. I'd love to get that new Quickie GTi chair they have out now.

Jessie

Quote Originally Posted by Tym
    It does look nice butt i hate the "look" of the casters compared to my 5inch froglegs softroll casters...

Agreed. Maybe the folks at TiLite are following this.

I've been spec'ing out 5x1 soft rolls because they have a feel similar to the 4x1.5 FrogLegs aluminum soft rolls on my chair when going over pavement irregularities.

One thing I noticed on the FrogLegs website is that they offer no less than 7 different anodized hub colors. While they cost almost $30 more than if you bought them from SportAid, those who's chairs have an anodized color package and can match their caster hubs to the other anodized parts on their chair.