Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Neato Facto Thread

The Neato Facto Thread

I'm hoping for a pleasant thread, in opposition of the recent ones for all those stuck indoors for the most part (me!).

The object is to find out what neat things happened on the day that you were paralyzed. When I look back, it's like 3 months including rehab missing out of my 'world news file', even though I was only 12.

I'll start. Try to hit as close as you can to your injury date with one neato facto. This will involve just a tiny bit of research.

Mine is July 29th, 1985.

(August)Friday 02: A Delta Air Lines Lockheed L-1011 TriStar crashes at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport in Texas, killing 137.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    I'm hoping for a pleasant thread...
    Hey, that sounds good! But then you post this...

A Delta Air Lines Lockheed L-1011 TriStar crashes at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport in Texas, killing 137.
    How the Hel is that pleasant, let alone "neato"??

C.

TR, you beat me to it..

October 17, 2002 - Scientists Turn Early Fat Cells into Bone Cells in the Laboratory

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/Research/Re...PR10172002.htm

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Hey, that sounds good! But then you post this...
    How the Hel is that pleasant, let alone "neato"??

C.
    LMAO .. I didn't even realize my own folly! lol ... okay the other to choose from was Christina MacAuliffe was chosen by VP George Dubya to be an astronaut and we all know how that turned out with the Challenger ...

Okay again:

Wednesday (July 10): In response to market demand, Coca-Cola re-introduces it's old formula cola as "Coca-Cola Classic" (see New Coke).

Better? lol

(Enron was also formed as a company in July 1985 but I didn't think that was good news either, lol).
    Last edited by lynnifer; 06-19-2008 at 11:08 PM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    Okay again:

Wednesday (July 10): In response to market demand, Coca-Cola re-introduces it's old formula cola as "Coca-Cola Classic" (see New Coke).

Better?
    Whew! Yes, ma'am! Much better. OK, doesn't look like many global events happened on 3 May 1987, but Christina Hendricks turned 9 and some cool books like Stephen King's "It" and David Geddings "Guardians of the West" were on the New York Times Best Sellers List.

C.

Aug. 6, 2000

Aaliyah went to the 2000 Teen Choice Awards. Of course, this is mainly of note because she died tragically a year later.

This is not neat or cool or funny, but the photo is breathtaking.

"This awsome picture was taken in the Bitterroot National
    Forest in Montana on August 6, 2000 by a fire behavior analyst from
    Fairbanks, Alaska by the name of John McColgan with a Digital camera.
    Since he was working while he took the picture, he cannot sell or profit
    from it so he should at least be recognized as the photographer of this
    once in a lifetime shot."

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    This is not neat or cool or funny, but the photo is breathtaking.
    Whoa. That photo is real?

C.

Don't know, it has some artifacts on it, like little white orbs, that kind of make me think so. The deer may be PS'd in but that was less common back then.

May 25, 1992 the government of Belarus instituted its own internal currency....the ruble.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Man, according to Wikipedia, not much good happened on my day:

September 20, 2003
    Israeli-Palestinian conflict: Israel says that the United Nations resolution on Yasser Arafat (passed 133-4 with 15 abstentions) "is meaningless. It is only a declaration and not legally binding." Yasser Arafat states it's of the "utmost importance" as a sign of international support for the Palestinians. Israel states Palestinians should focus their energy on fighting terrorism. Israel also insists that a new government being formed by incoming Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia cut links to Arafat. Israel says Arafat is tainted by terrorism. Qureia's criticism of United States policy is the strongest sign yet he does not plan to challenge Arafat. [1] [2] [3] [4]
    'War on Terrorism': 17 people are killed by United States airstrikes in southeast Afghanistan's Zabul province (in particular the Shinkay district). Eight nomad women and children, two Taliban fighters, several collaborating nomads, and a Taliban commander (Mohammad Gul Niazai) are among the dead. [5] [6]
    Occupation of Iraq: Two American soldiers are killed and 13 wounded in a mortar attack in Abu Ghraib, and another soldier dies in a roadside attack in Ramadi, bringing the number of U.S. deaths since the war began to 304, of which 165 occurred after President Bush's "mission accomplished" statement of May 1. [7] A member of the Governing Council, Dr. Aquila al-Hashimi, is shot in an assassination attempt (she dies five days later). United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan strongly condemns the attack and warns that it only undermines the country's political progress. [8]
    European Union enlargement: Latvians vote overwhelmingly in favor of the Baltic country joining the European Union. [9]
    Canadian Liberal Leadership Race: Early numbers from delegate-selection elections within the Liberal Party confirm Paul Martin will win an automatic first-round victory at the forthcoming leadership convention. Barring unforeseen circumstances, Martin can now be expected to become Canada's 21st Prime Minister in February 2004. [10]
    Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_20%2C_2003"
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"