Thread: Accessible home design

Accessible home design

Please post your links for ideas and resources on accessible home design and remodeling. Here is a great one:

http://www.turtlehomes.com/gallery.html

accesible home hints and measures in Portuguese

Housing resources

Here is another resource that has multiple links listed:

http://www.makoa.org/housing.htm

HANDICAPPED HOUSING DESIGNS

HELLO KLD AND ALL:

I JUST FOUND THIS AREA AND HAD A FEW SUGESTIONS. I GREW UP IN THE HOME BUILDING BUSINESS, GOT MY OWN BUSINESS GOING FOR SEVERAL YEARS BEFORE THE INTEREST RATES HIT ABOUT 20% AROUND 1981. I COULD NOT SELL THE SPEC HOMES I BUILT AND ONLY HAD A LITTLE GOING ON A COST PLUS BASIS BEFORE BEING FORCED OUT OG BUSINESS.

I GUESS MY POINT IS THAT ANYONE NEEDING SOME PRELIMINARY OR COMPLETE DESIGN WORK FOR A HANDICAPPED HOME MAY CONTACT ME. I HAVE DESIGNED AN 1800 SQUARE FOOT PLAN FOR MYSELF. BEING IN A WHEELCHAIR MAKES IT EASIER TO REALIZE AND TO SEE THE NEEDS OF SOMEONE LIKE MYSELF. THE PLAN HAS THREE BEDROOMS, TWO BATHS, A NICE FOYER AND A KITCHEN WITH A LOW BREAKFAST BAR AND A COUPLE OF OTHER ITEMS,DINING ROOM AND LARGE GREAT ROOM ALL IN ONE LARGE AREA. THE MASTER BEDROOM IS PLENTY LARGE, ONE SINK MOUNTED ON THE WALL THAT YOU CAN ROLL UNDER, ANOTHER SEPERATE COUNTERTOP AND SINK OVER A REGULAR CABINET FOR MY WIFE AND A ROLL IN SHOWER WITH BENCHES AND SHOWERHEADS PLACED WITH PLENTY OF THOUGHT. DOOR ACCESS, LIGHT SWITCH PLACEMENT FOR EASY ACCESS AS WELL AS ELECTRICAL OUTLETS IN EASY TO REACH PLACES.

I WOULD BE GLAD TO SHARE THESE IDEAS WITH ANYONE OR HELP YOU DESIGN A HOME OR RENOVATIONS TO SUIT YOUR PERSONAL PREFERENCES.

I WILL BE GLAD TO HELP FOR FREE ON IDEAS AND PLANNING WITH A BASIC LAYOUT. IF I SUPPLY COMPLETE BLUEPRINTS FOR BUILDING I WILL HAVE TO CHARGE SOMETHING DUE TO MOST OF THE BUILDING REGULATIONS IN PLACE TODAY AND THE TIME INVOLVED IN THE ACTUAL WORKING DRAWINGS. I WILL AS A FREE SERVICE ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS AND DESIGN BASIC LAYOUTS WITH ELEVATIONS AND DIMENTIONS FOR YOU TO TAKE TO YOUR LOCAL ARCHITECT, BUILDER OR HOME DESIGNER. I ALSO HAVE SOME GOOD IDEAS ON HOW TO REDUCE THE PRICE OF YOUR HOME AS WELL AS MAKING THEM THE MOST ENERGY EFFICENT AS POSSIBLE WITHOUT A BIG RUNOVER ON COSTS.

I LIVE IN A HOUSE NOW THAT IS NOT HANDICAPPED FRIENDLY BUT LIVEABLE. I WILL EITHER BUY THIS HOME AND MAKE THE NECESSARY RENOVATIONS OR BUILD THE HOME WE WANT IF I CAN SECURE FINANCING. THE 1900 SQUARE FOOT HOME I DESIGNED FOR MYSELF WILL COST ABOUT $126,000 DOLLARS BASED ON $70.00 PER SQUARE FOOT WHICH WOULD COST WITH PRINCIPLE, INTEREST, TAXES AND INSURANCE APPROXIMATELY $899 DOLLARS A MONTH BASED ON 6.5% INTREST. I KNOW THAT IS A LOT FOR ME AND PROBABLY MOST OF YOU BUT I DID NOT INCLUDE THE DISCOUNTS THAT I MAY BE ABLE TO LEAD YOU TO. I HAVEN'T TRIED THIS YET BUT THINK I CAN REDUCE THE COST OF THAT HOUSE BY ABOUT $20,OOO DOLLARS WHICH WOULD REDUCE THE NOTE AT 6.5% INTEREST TO ABOUT $$689.00 A MONTH.

I WILL BE GLAD TO SHARE THIS SYSTEM AND IDEAS WITH ANYONE LOOKING TO BUILD OR REMODEL.

YOU MAY REACH ME DIRECTLY AT Jbstevens57@aol.com

AS I SAID BEFORE THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THE BASIC HELP.

GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE I CAN HELP SOMEONE,

John. B. Stevens