Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C1-C2 injuries

C1-C2 injuries

Hi. New to this forum. Wondering for those of you who have had a c1-c2 break how are you all doing? How bad are your limitations? I'm 2 years in.

You will find people here are more likely to share if you 1) complete your incomplete profile and 2) share a little about yourself first.

(KLD)

Ok sounds great! Well I updated my profile and here's some about what happened to me. I live in Texas and 2 years ago I was in the car with one of my girlfriends on my lunch break, we were going shoe shopping And a gentleman who went into a diabetic coma hit our car. My head was turned because I was talking to my friend and then Bam. I broke my C1-C2 in the accident. I had to get a posterior fusion, they grafted the bone from my hip, unbelievable amount of pain. Because of how high up I broke I have extreme limitations on turning my head. I can't turn left to right, well maybe 5 degrees each way. In surgery they tried to pull the bones away from my spinal cord, they were pressing on it rather bad, they could pull it off minimally. So I still have numbness in my arms occasionally. Any further pulling it away would have caused worse damage. Now I'm a walking hardware store.

Quote Originally Posted by praises
    Now I'm a walking hardware store.
    Congrats. You faired very well in the accident.

I hope you realize how extremely lucky you are. A serious spinal cord injury at C1-2 would result in you having no movement below your head and being ventilator dependent 24/7. Were you in a halo brace after surgery?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    I hope you realize how extremely lucky you are. A serious spinal cord injury at C1-2 would result in you having no movement below your head and being ventilator dependent 24/7. Were you in a halo brace after surgery?

(KLD)
    Having a C1/2 injury is indeed very lucky.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Zilla, you don't consider someone with a C1-2 fracture who is essentially neurologically intact as lucky????

(KLD)

As in walking - oh! I stand corrected.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

No I was in no Halo. I went to one of the best if not the best neurosurgeon in Houston. He said no halo. What was intersting is that I got an opinion from another neurosurgeon who wanted to put me in the halo. I'm very blessed on several fronts and including the fact that I didn't have to wear the halo. I really am blessed I'm alive. I have to remind myself of that daily when I get frustrated with what I can and can not do.

Welcome to the board praises. So glad you were blessed.
    Thank God for all the good things he does. Post often.