Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cheap gloves?

cheap gloves?

Where do you get your gloves for bowel/bladder care?

After my dad was discharged from rehab, our provider sent us 2 boxes of gloves before realizing our insurance (medicare/blue cross) didn't cover them. And we soon discovered they are quite pricey and even our nearby Costco (which only has latex free) isn't very cheap.

Does anyone buy them on the internet, or are the shipping costs out of sight? What's the best deal you've found?

Strongly recommend you use latex-free, either vinyl or nitrile. Latex allergy in either the person with SCI or their caregiver is increased by repeated exposure, and can be a serious disability.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by hlh
    Where do you get your gloves for bowel/bladder care?

After my dad was discharged from rehab, our provider sent us 2 boxes of gloves before realizing our insurance (medicare/blue cross) didn't cover them. And we soon discovered they are quite pricey and even our nearby Costco (which only has latex free) isn't very cheap.

Does anyone buy them on the internet, or are the shipping costs out of sight? What's the best deal you've found?

I use the really thin food service gloves. They work fine for me. Look on ebay. You can get 1000 for about $10.00.

Blog Entries
    Had not thought of food service gloves before. any problems with them sliding off easy?
    Found a good deal on ebay after reading this, I believe I'm going to try them.
    wally-whirled is about 8bucks per hundred now, these are 14 shipping included for 2000, I'm gonna bite, he said buy 3 one free, thanks for the idea!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130229109179

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Strongly recommend you use latex-free, either vinyl or nitrile. Latex allergy in either the person with SCI or their caregiver is increased by repeated exposure, and can be a serious disability.

(KLD)
    KLD,

Does this mean that if you use latex gloves, eventually you may DEVELOP a latex alergy, even if you are not alergic from the start?

I ask because I am using latex gloves, they are the cheapest thing that I could find, and I have a few thousand at the house now.

Yes, repeated exposure to latex, esp. to mucous membranes (ie, inside the urethra or bladder, inside the anus in the rectum during bowel care) is one of the two major ways that people become sensitized to and develop allergies to latex. Latex use in surgery is the other. Most hospitals have banned the use of latex gloves because of the number of health care professionals who now are latex allergic, in addition to patients who have had repeated latex exposure. People with SCI are in the top 3 risks groups, along with people with spina bifida and cerebral palsey.

Use up your latex gloves but try to use them when you don't have mucous membrane contact, and then when you purchase next, get non-latex gloves.

(KLD)

My last two orders have been from www.dontheglove.com. I get a 10 boxes of 100 gloves at a time. They are much cheaper than buying locally and they seem to work just fine. You can get latex or vinyl from them. Check them out.

Yes, repeated exposure to latex, esp. to mucous membranes (ie, inside the urethra or bladder, inside the anus in the rectum during bowel care) is one of the two major ways that people become sensitized to and develop allergies to latex. Latex use in surgery is the other. Most hospitals have banned the use of latex gloves because of the number of health care professionals who now are latex allergic, in addition to patients who have had repeated latex exposure. People with SCI are in the top 3 risks groups, along with people with spina bifida and cerebral palsey.

Use up your latex gloves but try to use them when you don't have mucous membrane contact, and then when you purchase next, get non-latex gloves.

(KLD)
    Wow! I am glad I found that out now. I will make sure to get some nitrile gloves next time. I see they have them for a reasonable price on sledboy's link.

Thank god for care cure

thanks for all replies. Very useful info, as always.

hh

(KLD)
    My rehab unit used latex gloves a lot.
    And when I had went to my local er, they had latex gloves all over.

I've used only vinyl gloves for some time now, after being educated here at CC about latex exposure.