Thread: FREE Redman W/C

FREE Redman W/C

I have a Redman standing wheelchair that's about 15-16 years old that I'd gladly give away if someone would take it. It was rarely used the 1st year that I'd had it. I'd sent it back for repairs shortly after receiving it brand new, and Redman took it upon himself to "upgrade" it after which it would never fit in my van again.

Needs batteries and new back tires, but there must be somebody in this world who would be grateful just to have a w/c so they could get out of bed. Tha VA doesn't take used chairs in Utah or Phoenix, and the VFW here never answers the phone. Shriners only wants glasses. The thrift stores here won't take it without batteries and new tires. I called Redman and he said he wasn't interested, either.

I hate to just junk it, so does anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks
    Last edited by cindyg; 06-13-2008 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Email preferences

where in ut are you ?....if ure east i might be interested...i'm in west co

I would be interested but I am here in Missouri. I could possibly pay to ship but would have no idea how to check on something like that.

Since Your A Veteran Contact Paralyzed Veterans of America

Quote Originally Posted by Flyarmy64
    I would be interested but I am here in Missouri. I could possibly pay to ship but would have no idea how to check on something like that.
    Hello Fellow Veteran,
    Have you contacted the PVA Office in Washington, DC on guidance since your builidng a house? The PVA has people on it's staff that can help you with designing a wheelchair accessible home. Also have you asked your SCI therapist for a standing wheelchair? I wouldn't get involved with having the free Redman chair shipped to you. A lot of wheelchair places won't work on them. Some times they need to be shipped back to Redman at your expense for repairs. Think about it. The following standing wheelchairs are on the market: LEVO, PERMOBIL. Do a GOOGLE search on standing wheelchairs.

I wish you the best on the building of your new wheelchair accessible home.

OH! I just remembered about UNITED SPINAL ASSOCIATION in New York state might be able to give you guidance on building an accessible home.
    Membership is free. They use to be NEPVA (North East Paralyzed Veterans of America. Now, they not only represent Veterans they also help people in the private sector as well. They broke away from PVA National Office years ago & went on thier own.

I wish I could've sent you an e-mail or a private message instead.

Take care FLY ARMY.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Bob
    Fellow Veteran

You might see if a local nursing home might want it. Sometimes, they accept donations of used manual and power chairs. I'd love to have a standing chair, but am not ready to use a power chair (I like manual chairs too much LOL!). You might also put an ad in your local paper or at a rehab facility for a free wheelchair.

Jessie

I'm near St. George, Utah

Which is the SW corner of Utah. My brother wants to take it to the dump on his day off tomorrow, so I hope if someone wants they say so before noon MST on 6/16. I'm sorry I wouldn't know how to ship it either, maybe by some freight company like DATS, or something? Did I mention the seat is 16" wide?

Thanks again,
    Cindy

Flyarmy64,

I think my edit didn't work, but what I said was that RAFS is right. Sam Redman definitely is not in the business to help people. You're better off to not ever have to deal with Redman. But thought I'd offer it just in case someone was desperate.

God bless and my sincere gratitude to our Vets!

Cindy

Did you get rid of it?

Any pics??
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Yes, it's gone. I'm sorry for the slow reply as I have not had the Internet since a week ago yesterday.

Do you still know organizations who could donate standing wheelchair to me as a C5-T7

Can you please help me find oranizations or individuals who could help me get a free standing wheelchair that would relieve me from all pains due to poor blood and nerve circulation and bladder function problems, muscles atrophy that I currently experiencing because of lack of muscle stretching and movement??

Hoping for your favorable advise and response.

Thank You for your generosity in helping other disabled people.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyg View Post
    I have a Redman standing wheelchair that's about 15-16 years old that I'd gladly give away if someone would take it. It was rarely used the 1st year that I'd had it. I'd sent it back for repairs shortly after receiving it brand new, and Redman took it upon himself to "upgrade" it after which it would never fit in my van again.

Needs batteries and new back tires, but there must be somebody in this world who would be grateful just to have a w/c so they could get out of bed. Tha VA doesn't take used chairs in Utah or Phoenix, and the VFW here never answers the phone. Shriners only wants glasses. The thrift stores here won't take it without batteries and new tires. I called Redman and he said he wasn't interested, either.

I hate to just junk it, so does anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks