Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: my beach wheelchair is finished

my beach wheelchair is finished

if anyone remembers, i originally found this website looking for someone who had built a beach wheelchair. we had a beach trip planned and my husband and son wanted to build me a chair so we could get down to the ocean.

that was back in february, and a couple of weekends ago, they set out to accomplish their goal. they did a terrific job! unfortunately, my hubby was unknowingly working with a ruptured intestines and we spent last week in the hospital with him recooping from emergency surgery. i almost lost him..it was very close. he is home now but in a lot of pain and very weak. sadly, now we have had to cancel our trip to the beach, but hopefully we can make it later in the summer.

i am posting pics so that if anyone else wants to try to build one they can get an idea of how to proceed. they had no plans and just built it as they went. all we have left to do is order the cushion, but you wouldn't be able to see the construction with the cushion anyway.

Attachment 22807

Attachment 22808

Attachment 22809

Attachment 22810

Nice work! Sorry about the injury.

A thought, a head wind in the umbrella may cause the chair to tip over backwards.
    Andrew

thanks! they thought about the backwards tip..those are anti-tip bars at the bottom on the back turned downwards. i don't know that i would have thought of that, but thankfully they did.

You husband and son did a good job. Sorry about your husband's injury, ouch.

We went to pensacola beach last year I did get tired of sitting on the pier while my husband was in the ocean. At least our hotel was on the beach which was nice. We went in the off season so the lifeguard stand wasn't open but I have heard that they have beach wheelchairs available. Only thing we always go on vacation in the off season to avoid the crowds guess that worked against us as far as getting the use of a beach chair. I did get to go parasailing which was fun!

Hi Spinky,

It's pretty cool, but how does your beachchair turn?

I started making something similar too (metal frame though) with 4 Rolleez wheels like the ones you have. It worked great going in a straight line, but it was almost impossible for anyone to turn it with me sitting in it. You need two of the wheels to turn like casters.

It's the same problem with 3 fixed wheels. Except with three wheels you need at least one wheel able to turn.

when we went to the beach the previous two years, we stayed at a place that had a beach chair for use of those staying there. it had these same wheels and they had no problem turning it. when they were thinking about the build, the called wheeleez and talked to one of the techs. he said with my size, the casters were not a necessity. they sell both types, but the wheels are the major part of the cost and castor type wheels were even more expensive. since we used a chair like this before, we knew these type wheels would not be a problem.

we didnt really like the place we used to stay, but we went there just for the chair. now, we can stay somewhere we can enjoy and i can have a chair too..yeaaaaa!

Looks great. Agree with ala. That was the 2nd thing I noticed as I think the back may be too straight up and uncomfy.. For what you guys spent... really good job. Here's one with smaller, turning front wheels.

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/vi...product_id=987

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Spinky,

As you can see, I live in Florida. Many of the beaches here have free beachchairs for handicapped people. I have used ones made with aluminum frames and ones made of PVC and I have never seen one without casters. I concede that if you are really lightweight, someone strong may be able to turn you by sheer force or by tipping the chair back on two wheels, but you don’t even have push handles for leverage. Your chair definitely wouldn’t work for me.

Still, nice job, have fun, and I hope everything works out well.

actually, there is a push bar worked into the area where the umbrella is held and they built in a bar on the bottom specifically for help from a foot if needed for leverage. as far as the wheels, all of the pvc ones we found on line had no casters either. as i said, we have used one like this before and it worked great. i am proud of the job they did and in the end, as long as it works for me, then that is all that counts.

Thanks for posting the pictures spinky. I am hoping that later this summer I might get out to the beach so am very interested in your chair. I hope you have fun when you go.

(This reminds me that I didn't get back you with a private message like I planned. I have been meaning to and will. It's nice to see you posting again. I hope you are doing well).