Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should i get the rods taken out of my back???

Post Should i get the rods taken out of my back???

When i went into surgey the put rods in my back from T10 - L2 and a plate on my right clivical.

If i was to get these rods removed at a later date will it make some of the pain go away or does it create more??

has anyone been threw this stage..???

I know im gonna get teh clivical taken out, causes lots of pain when lifting my arm....

Taking the rods out may decrease your pain, but only diagnostic tests put together with clinical opinion can tell you if there is a chance for that. I know some people who have had them out and become pain free and others who still have some pain.
    CKF

I had rods from T7 to L2. I had them taken out and have not regretted it one bit. Pain free but it took about 6 months for everything to adjust.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

When I asked about having my rods taken out, the docs seemed to think it was a bad idea and not really an option. I don't think they are causing me pain [my back pain comes more from muscle spasms]. Is there some reason the rods would need to be permanent?

Rods also

I have rods in my back that they want to take out and put new hardware in. One of the titainium screws is completely broke and the rod is moved away from the spine. I didn't know titainium could break. Does this sounds strange to anyone? I'm a T12. I don't find out any details of the surgery until Aug. 5. I'm concerned about recovery time.

Generally it is recommended that hardware be left alone unless it is determined that it is causing you orthpedic pain, or has broken or come loose and is moving around, or is infected. Some hardware can be quite overgrown with bone and it is a lot of work and a fairly bloody procedure to remove it if there is not a real reason to do so.

Unless your spinal fractures are not fully healed, it is rare that a broken screw or rod would be replaced rather than just removed. How long have you had the hardware in place? When was your spinal fracture or surgery?

If you have to have hardware removed, the recovery time will depend on how hard it is to get out. This can be from 1-2 days in the hospital up to several weeks (or longer if the hardware and bone is also infected). It can be pretty painful, so you should have a discussion with the surgeon about their plans for post-operative pain management (such as PCA or an implanted pain pump).

(KLD)

Thanks KLD. Follow up question: Would removing rods increase the flexibility of my spine? Or would it make no difference, given that some of the vertebrae are fused?

Camille: A broken titanium screw? That surprises me too, I thought this stuff was unusually strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    Thanks KLD. Follow up question: Would removing rods increase the flexibility of my spine? Or would it make no difference, given that some of the vertebrae are fused?
    A good question to ask your surgeon, as this is highly individual depending on what type of fusion you had (if any), which vertebrae and how many were fused, and several other factors. A downside of fusion is that your back is actually often more vulnerable to future fractures above and below the fusion site if you were to be in another serious accident.

(KLD)

I am kind of in the same boat.

I had T9-L1 fused with screws and rods. My original incision never healed though because of some supporting cross member that was between my spine and the skin, it kept poking thru. So a month and a half after my origional operation they went back in and took out the crossmember (apparently it was just screwed in, and wasnt that serious of an operation). If I had been thinking at the time, I would have told them to take out all of the cross members ( I think there are 4 or 5) because these are all right underneath the surface and even though I cant feel them (well especially because I cant feel them i guess) I am always worried about pressure sores from my seat back or from lying down on my back. I am thinking about having the top one (that I can kinda feel) taken out since it is painful some times, but I guess I need to talk to a doc about whether to get rid of all of them. These arent the pieces that were overgrown with bone though, all my rods and screws are staying.

I had mine removed because they hurt so bad. I would cry at night because my back hurt. The bone had grown around one part and that was the area that took awhile to get well. I came home the next day and was able to transfer and get around.
    I am able to twist around more. My back doesn't hurt anymore. Very few sci people I know has ever had this done unless they broke theirs.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison