Thread: Some job hunting advice, please

Some job hunting advice, please

So I'm nearly finished with my degree (completing a literature review paper this month and then graduating) and am in need of some helpful job hunting advice. Because of my SCI I have some definite limitations as far as employment goes, but I'm hoping they won't present too much of a barrier. My greatest two limitations are:

1) Sciatica that causes immediate discomfort upon sitting, unbearable after 45 minutes
    2) Neuropathic pain throughout the day that will require 2-3 hours of downtime, otherwise being productive is not possible

With the limitations in mind, I believe I'll be able to work a full-time job, albeit at home most (if not all) of the time. I know I can meet the demands of a full-time job as I've done very well with my degree program, taking as many as five classes in a semester and acing them all. I have a very high GPA that required a ton of work, and is/was my greatest achievement post-SCI. The program was mixed -- some online and some offline classes -- which aided me in being able to complete the degree's requirements.

Current situation is that I have an undergraduate degree in Management Information Systems and a (soon-to-be) graduate degree in Health Services Administration. With the MIS degree I was a computer programmer, but with the neuropathic pain I simply can't manage that level of concentration. However, I'm remaining optimistic that I'll be able to find telework positions that these degrees may fill. The problem is I don't know how to present my limitations to an employer without making the case against myself that I'm unfit for the position.

Does anyone have some suggestions on how I should present my limitations within a cover letter or résumé to an employer? Any helpful hints on finding telework positions? Anyone had a positive experience with the 'Ticket to Work' program? Any local Portlanders on the forum that happen to know or work for an organization that might need someone like me ()?

Appreciate the advice!

--Christopher

P.S., just to head off the possible questions, I've tried a multitude of medications and treatments to address my sciatica and neuropathic pain (everything from seating to shots to pills) and ultimately they are not effective. I wouldn't hesitate to say that they're actually ineffective as I no longer employ them. The pills and steroid shots simply don't work for me.

I just wanted to wish you luck. Hope your move went well.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

CV

Congratualation on your degree my friend!

Now some advice on finding a job.

I'll tell you what I did a couple of times and worked out.

The last time I was looking for something else as in employment I decided the insurance industry looked good but really didn't know much about it but I though it would be easy to open one up of my own. So I went to my agent and asked him what I needed to do to get started and he told me if your really interested you need to get a 220 license to be considered. So I did and went back and he wasn't interest but said I shouldn't have to much of a problem because most employees only have 440's and the better license is the 220.

So I went around the area and asked about 25 places and no body was interested and I was just about to give up and one agency told me about another agency that was looking for someone.

So I called for an appointment and went in and it looked good but I didn't get the feeling he was going to hire me so I told him at the end of the meeting I would work a week and if you didn't feel I could do the job well don't pay me and I would be cool with that.

Now i've been there for close to 6 years and i'm the manager on salary and I get to pick my hours.

With your background you might want to look into a position in information technology in the health care industry, both private and federal. Computerization of medical records is the big push right now, and they often need people with feet in both camps to work on these types of projects.

Often the work is done in some cubicle and it is not really critical that you be there during regular working hours, and you can certainly ask for split shifts or special work hours as a reasonable accomodation. Most systems would not let you work from home due to big issues with firewalls, but you can inquire about this (but I wouldn't bring that up immediately as it is often reserved for those who have been employed by the department for some time).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    I just wanted to wish you luck. Hope your move went well.
    Move went well! Thanks for asking
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman
    So I called for an appointment and went in and it looked good but I didn't get the feeling he was going to hire me so I told him at the end of the meeting I would work a week and if you didn't feel I could do the job well don't pay me and I would be cool with that.
    I've thought about offering the same for hesitant employers.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    With your background you might want to look into a position in information technology in the health care industry, both private and federal. Computerization of medical records is the big push right now, and they often need people with feet in both camps to work on these types of projects.
    I'm actually quite interested in that field and at this point I just need to start interviewing. Going to be interesting the responses I get when I inquire about telework. Let's see how this goes...

Cvelusc,

I agree with SCI-Nurse, in the IT industry employers are more willing for you to pick and choose your hours.

At IBM i know a ton of people who "work from home" a lot, and one guy works remotely all the time.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home