Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 19 year old daughter, new SCI, no insurance

Pip

Sorry to hear about your daughter...I have seen this happen to many young people and have the same problems.

I will only advise you to look at her car insurance. If you have PIP (personal Injury Protection), this may be a way to cover some of the insurance issues. Not all insurances has this benefit, but is there to help cover costs that the insurance may not cover.

Call and ask her agent about this benefit.

Hello...I'm so sorry to hear about all this that's happened but I think I could help ur daughter a lot...I was 19 when I was in a car accident n now i have an SCI and I'm bound to a wheelchair the rest of my life if ur daughters interested have her email me (armesia_combs@yahoo.com) maybe we can help each other out its terribly lonely to b as young as we are n b in a wheelchair...along with EVERYTHING else that goes along with it...peace & love Armesia

Quote Originally Posted by Armesia View Post
    Hello...I'm so sorry to hear about all this that's happened but I think I could help ur daughter a lot...I was 19 when I was in a car accident n now i have an SCI and I'm bound to a wheelchair the rest of my life if ur daughters interested have her email me (armesia_combs@yahoo.com) maybe we can help each other out its terribly lonely to b as young as we are n b in a wheelchair...along with EVERYTHING else that goes along with it...peace & love Armesia

Welcome to CC. Sorry about your accident so young. Post often. Mona

The county paid my expenses until Medicare and Medicaid kicked in.

Gosh, I am so sorry about your daughter.Glad she is breathing better and moving better. Her story sounds similar to my story. She is lucky to have your love and support. This means a lot!
    If I had Care Cure for info, I would have been in a much better place after I was injured without adequate health insurance. Lots of online resources here as well. It is important to get a good primary care to help you negotiate your bills and process, and a dependable social worker to give advice on forms. Sounds like you have a good SW, great. Medicaid and Medicaid waivers can help with home healthcare as well. Join your local independent living center. Share resources in your information on how to get funding. Start a fundraiser. Get her hooked up with other teens her age who have gone through it. It is an incredibly difficult time and I am sorry she is going through this.

I found the hospital will pay if you cannot afford it, often, Free Care and sometimes there are insurances to cover in the interim. My PIP coverage covered for the first few months but it went rather quickly due to hospital costs. Get her online if you can. My thoughts going out to you.
    Last edited by med100; 03-15-2010 at 11:10 AM.

Pip

I know in some states PIP (Personal Insurance Protection) is part of the auto insurance coverage. You may want to check with her insurance company and see if she can get coverage through them.

I know we treat a few patients that have BC/BS, or another insurance company, as a primary insurance and what is not covered by them is taken care of by the auto insurance.

Good Luck!!