Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 19 year old daughter, new SCI, no insurance

Isn't there an emergency medicaid? Thats what we did here in Ca. But it's called medi-cal. Every state is different. I also wanted to share that Im a mom of a daughter with a SCI. Its so hard and I am glad to hear that you will be going where ever our daughter goes. I tried to get into Craig hospital but they wouldnt take my daughter. Rancho Los Amigos in Ca might take her. I really feel for you!

Recieved a phone call today from Santa Clara....They are thinking of taking her!!!! Not a definite yet but this at least gives me hope. Its all dependent on Medicaid eligibility and if Nevada is willing to pay the costs. Also depending on the Doctors...they still have to talk to each other. Crossing my fingers that it all works out. It does at least show me that there is a possibility of her getting into an actual SCI Rehab!
    Thanks everyone for everything. I'll be back on Monday sometime...leaving work early to go spend the weekend with Ivy.

Wink keep on trying

if there is one thing I have learned in the last 6 years as being a mom to a SCI child, it is this: do respect the doctors. Do not let them tell you what is going to happen. The doctors should be including you as apart of the "team". Always go with your gut. tell thoses doctors with much respect, what they should do in the best interest of their patient. My favoriot thing to do is to say to them is"what would you do if your child were in this spot"? Tell them that if $$ was no concern, what would the plan be? Then let them tell you and then say, "now what grants/foundations can help me get MY child there? I am not a rude person but I have some expierence with talking to doctors and I believe that I am the only expert in matters concerning my daughter. You have to find your voice and do what ever it takes to get the best rehab for your daughter...

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's sci.
    I didn't have insurance & Texas Rehabilitation Commission paid for my Rehab.
    Check with your Rehabilitation Commission in your State.
    God bless praying she gets all the rehab she needs.

Neither the NV or CA Rehab Commission (DOR or DVR) pays for inpatient care, mobility equipment, or home modifications as they do in TX.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Neither the NV or CA Rehab Commission (DOR or DVR) pays for inpatient care, mobility equipment, or home modifications as they do in TX.

(KLD)
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    Prayers going up for y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by DiannaRae
    What she does have going for her is that she has already made marked recovery on her own...can move both arms,wrists, has biceps and triceps ( this is how nurse explained to me....Im just learning here!) has pretty good strength in arms, can wiggle toes a bit. She has feeling almost everywhere and what the DR. called a good anal wink. ( I saw that here somewhere so I think thats a good thing) Her attitude is great...some depression but thats to be expected. She has fierce determination to walk again, if not that, to at least be independent enough to care for her daughter
    DiannaRae, I don't think anyone in this thread has mentioned it, but this much recovery so early in the process is good news for your daughter. You're doing the right thing by reaching out and insisting on quality rehab if you can get it.

Please keep us posted, and Godspeed.

Dianna Rey.
    I spent every day with my son in rehab that's where you learn how to do all the things that need to be done to help your child.
    My son is a C4 so he needs maybe more assistance then your daughter will need but it a hands on learning and I sure have been happy I was there!
    So don't think you will be in the way. You will learn to stand back when it's time to stand back.
    So sorry this happened but people hear will help.
    Sandie Mom to Shawn C4 just over 1 year
    sandra beerman mom to
    Shawn 24 years old
    C 4/5
    From a fall on May20 2007

My wife also has a recent sci 4-21-2008 and can move both legs now. It is very good news that your daughter is regaining some movement get her into rehab anyway possible.

Out of time for a total update for the day...but a question

I have to leave for work again soon...but can I post pics and videos here???If I can, I can show you her progress .Maybe you all can give me a clue as to your thoughts of outcome?? Thank you ALL for the responses..and I will answer the PMs ASAP...just a blah night here...a few of many. Went to Dr for stress meds....tried em 2 days...didnt help. Thinking I gotta quit feeling sorry for me and the rest and start concentrating on Ivy some more. Someone show me where you all find your strength. Son aint handling it well. Cutting himself...says it releases the pain....and if his sis hurts so should he. Nothing more from the rehabs...thats depressing..But I guess it doesnt happen overnite huh>> Is anyone ever in chat??? That would help...Ivy and me both