Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinion of best tires??

Black Marks

Good call, Gary. I totally forgot about that! I haven't tried black tires in decades, but they did make a mess.
    Also, where are you guys buying these? A quick search of the internet, and I found only one place that sold 24", and they wanted more in shipping than they did for the tire. I hate that!
    Thanks,
    Taziar

Update: Duh, found 'em at SportAid. Anyone else find it difficult to find stuff on that site?

http://www.sportaid.com/product.php?...-es&mode=build

Gary - the description says non-marking! Score!

the scwalbes are 1" wide...

they are made with a special non marking compound called 'black & roll', and if you really want grey, they do have that (here in europe anyway) but i prefer the black. they have some details on http://schwalbetires.com/wheelchair/tires and www.sportaid.com sell them too

eta: http://www.sportaid.com/product.php?...sa&prdID=45577

I just came off their web-site and they do not have the Evolutions in the size I need, I use a 24 x 1 3/8 tire the evolutions are limited to 1 inch wide only.
    I am in Florida and I need the width for a lot of sandy areas,
    They do make tires in the grey with the 1 3/8 width but not sure if they would wear as long as the black I am going to shoot them an e-mail to see if the grey ones will last as long as the black ones..
    And they are a little pricey but if I can geet one year from a set verses 3 sets a year it would still save money...Just coming up with 100 bucks for a set or tires gets rough..
    Last edited by garyv; 06-10-2008 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    go w/ shox 110 mach psi tires, they r solids. i have shox on my razor and kik solid 110 on my zr and shox r much lighter
    bingo! ditto 100%! Been running shox 110 type for 8 months now.. i am VERY active, have run them in all weather, and living in a city with constant construction (Portland, Or), no flats = peace of mind. go off curbs, train tracks, gravel, grass, dirt, mud.. everything. compared to tube type? so little difference, and I have to climb several blocks of hills, so weight does matter. oh- btw- using black ones, no marks that i have seen. takes a couple days of use for them to break in tho.
    nikki
    T6 complete since Oct, 2001
    TiLite ZRa, Spinergy LX 24", Shox Firm tires, 3" volcanic glare rollerblade wheels for casters

ooops
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

i just started looking for the spox solids and they are a 1 inch tire as well...
    I dont know how well a 1 inch tire will do in sand....
    I did send the e-mail to Swalbes and wont expect an answer for at least a day or so ....
    I usually dont have many problems with flats just tires wearing out fast more than anything......

Really not much difference between 1 inch and 1 3/8. I really doubt if you would notice a difference. Best everyday tires I have found for sand are Kenda 24 x 2 inch wide tires they sell at Sportaid. It's almost like a slick with knobbies on the side. Can almost push across a beach with those and don't end up with a lap full of sand like I do with wide full knobbies.
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
    -Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

are the schwalbe tires heavier than the kenda 110 psi tires?

Quote Originally Posted by Druston
    are the schwalbe tires heavier than the kenda 110 psi tires?

Schwalbe Marathon Evolution Plus Tires (559)
    540 g (1 lb. 3.0 oz.) per tire. The Kendas are closer to 0.5 lb. per tire.

Last edited by stephen212; 06-10-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212

Schwalbe Marathon Evolution Plus Tires (559)
    540 g (1 lb. 3.0 oz.) per tire. The Kendas are closer to 0.5 lb. per tire.

Wow. No wonder my chair was almost 2 pounds heavier when I used the Schwalbes.

To me, that trade off is not worth it. Rotational mass at the outer edge of the wheel makes a significant difference (much more than carrying a two pound weight in your lap.) Quad handrims are bad enough.

I switched from schwalbe to primo passage and they seem to be holding up fine. But, they are gray, so...not cool enough for everyone.

Oh yeah, and the schwalbes started cracking along the edge after about 6 months and I could see the blue "smart guard" material through the rubber. Wasn't a problem, but could be later.