Thread: Longer Life For Paraplegic Patients With Superman Bicycle

Longer Life For Paraplegic Patients With Superman Bicycle

If this need to be moved to different place please do so thank you. I thought more people will see it here. The problem is too much money to buy them!

ScienceDaily (Jun. 9, 2008) — A new type of exercise equipment can prevent serious lifestyle illnesses in paraplegic patients. The equipment, which was partly developed at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in Trondheim, was first designed for the American actor Christopher Reeve.

Patients who are unable to walk after a spinal injury have a poorer quality of life and a shortened lifespan than their non-paralysed counterparts. Sitting passively in a chair makes people susceptible to weight and digestion problems, lower bone density, diabetes – and last but not least, heart and circulation problems.

“It’s the circulation problems that are the most difficult for them, and it’s circulation problems that kill them”, says Jan Hoff, a professor of medicine at NTNU.

But it doesn’t have to be that way. A new type of exercise equipment, partly developed at NTNU, combined with a new training plan, makes it possible for spinal patients to exercise themselves back to health – at least as far as the heart is concerned.

more...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0603172558.htm

My son is a paraplegic and we modified a cheap recumbent exercise bike from Sears for a whole lot less than that probably goes for.

No hand crank, but it works. At first we turned the peddles for him, but now he can do it on his own. The main modification is straping his feet to the peddles.
    Last edited by PeanutsLucy; 06-09-2008 at 11:54 PM.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

This article doesn't give sufficient background on this technology.

There are many similar devices both leg and arm training besides the ERGYS II. By the way the ERGYS II is one of the oldest devices out there. Most rehab centers have such devices.

Peanuts Lucy is right. An arm crank can be made for much less.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by manouli
    If this need to be moved to different place please do so thank you. I thought more people will see it here. The problem is too much money to buy them!

ScienceDaily (Jun. 9, 2008) — A new type of exercise equipment can prevent serious lifestyle illnesses in paraplegic patients. The equipment, which was partly developed at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in Trondheim, was first designed for the American actor Christopher Reeve.

Patients who are unable to walk after a spinal injury have a poorer quality of life and a shortened lifespan than their non-paralysed counterparts. Sitting passively in a chair makes people susceptible to weight and digestion problems, lower bone density, diabetes – and last but not least, heart and circulation problems.

“It’s the circulation problems that are the most difficult for them, and it’s circulation problems that kill them”, says Jan Hoff, a professor of medicine at NTNU.

But it doesn’t have to be that way. A new type of exercise equipment, partly developed at NTNU, combined with a new training plan, makes it possible for spinal patients to exercise themselves back to health – at least as far as the heart is concerned.

more...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0603172558.htm

i bought a an motorzied pedal machine on ebay for 125 bucks shipped. it has a remote control u can adjust the speed an it has a timer. my dad tied a pair of my shoes to it and it works fine. It pedals for you and its a pretty good machine for the price. I use a fes bike at therapy so this is something good to use in between days.

Hi,
    I think some of you missed the point in the article. This is not about developing a device for sale, but more to find out the best ways as for heart and circulation exercises for paraplegics. Thus they took the Ergys II and installed a hand cycle on it. Then they took this new type of exercise equipment, partly developed at NTNU and combined it with a new training plan (heavy training in short intervals) and proved the results - on SCI’ed persons which was paralysed from the chest or waist down – an average increase in their oxygen uptake by 25 per cent and in their heart pumping volume by fully 37 per cent, after just eight weeks of training. Never before has so much improvement or such impressive results been documented in this patient group, says professor Jan Hoff at NTNU. The combination by the legs helping to return blood to the heart and simultaneously exercise the arms in this special interval exercise program showed to be beneficial. It has nothing to do with SEARS or selling equipment, like professor Jan Hoff said, they are researchers. But then, if this proves to be as beneficial as they claim, then this type of equipment can be further developed, maybe so that one can use it from an regular manual wheelchair, and also make it so that SCI units and rehabilitation centres will include the equipment, but most important, along with the exercise plan which was so beneficial.

Link to video here; http://www.nrk.no/programmer/tv/schrodingers_katt/1.5615174 click on “SE: Lamme sykler på Supermans sykkel” at the end of the article. In Norwegian language unfortunately. A side note; on the video at the rehab centre, in the background one can also see a set of several hand cycles mounted in a ring, this is for exercise along with music like some AB’s are doing “spinning” cycling at exercise studios.

And if some wants to contact professor Jan Hoff about this exercise plan and study, se link here: http://folk.ntnu.no/janhof/

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    ..Peanuts Lucy is right. An arm crank can be made for much less.

Wise.
    What do you mean?