Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Margarine Myth???

Margarine Myth???

Is this actually true ........... this has probably been discussed here before but I just got this in an email ....... it's disturbing if it's real ! I use both butter and an olive oil fortified with Omega 3 etc. etc. type margarine made by Becel ....... now I'm a little worried !

Obieone

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings.

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Both have the same amount of calories.. Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.

Eating
    margarine can increaseheart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating
    butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter
    has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added!

Butter
    tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter
    has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine..

Very high in Trans
    fatty acids.

Triple risk of coronary
    heart disease.

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold.

Lowers quality of
    breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases
    insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact....
    Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from beingPLASTIC..

This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has
    no nutritional value; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I gave up marg years ago. I try not to eat petroleum products!

Obieone,
    I've heard the same thing , and stopped using margarine about 10 years ago. Where do you get the olive oil fortified with Omega3? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that around here.

My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Some of that could not possibly be true - if it delivers calories, it has nutritional value. The turkey stuff is nonsense. Check out the wikipedia article on marge.

When I was very small, margarine came with a little pack of yellow food coloring, which Mom would mix in to make it look more like butter. I use butter, olive oil, canola ("rape seed" made bad press) oil or margarine depending on the circumstances. But I don't use a whole lot of any of them.
    - Richard

http://www.becel.ca/en_ca/content/he...olive_oil.aspx

Geez ...... I just don't even know about nuthin' ..... it's scary to ... eat anything anymore .... period ......

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Every product is different. For example I use a margarine made with yogurt. I like the flavor of it, it will not grease a pan for non-stick cooking though. It has zero cholesterol and very low fat. It also has zero trans fat. It's made by Brummle and Brown. My mother stopped using real butter and her cholesterol went down twenty points.
    Andrew

The above quoted compilation began circulating on the internet in June 2003, often under the title "Butter vs Margarine," and suprisingly enough there was a fair bit of truth to it, at least at the time.

So parts of it were true... and butter tastes better than margarine anyway!

Being in the US, I don't have access to the products on that website Obi, but thank you for posting it. I'm doing household shopping today, and going to ask at the grocery store if that product is available, or if there is a comparable one.

I've been fortunate to not have high cholesterol. I've always felt that food that comes from nature was best, less processing is preferable and cholesterol be damned. I've just always had a hunch that eggs > Eggbeaters, cream > nondairy creamer, whipped cream > Cool Whip, and that avocados, nuts and olive oil play a vital part in metabolism. I'm never surprised when they retract some of the cholesterol fanatacism of the 80s and 90s, or when they learn more about good and bad cholesterols.

I do like some chemical foods though. It's not a sandwich w/out Miracle Whip LOL.

I'm surprised they call butter made from yogurt "margarine". It's a dairy product, maybe they should call it butter substitute?

My stepmom buys nonfat salad dressing (ack that stuff is awful), nonfat butter, butter substitutes in spray bottles, nonfat ice cream bars, nonfat cheese that won't melt. The food at her house is HORRIBLE. I feel like her refrigerator is a petroleum refinery outlet! So much better to have olive oil and vinegar for salad dressing, for example, or a yogurt and fruit salad vs. her "ice cream". A little of a yummy Brie is so much preferable to a lot of the non-melting cheese crap. It has been a hungry and tasteless few decades up there, y'know?
    Last edited by betheny; 06-07-2008 at 01:05 PM.

I don't know if it is true or not, but my mother told me that margarine was widely used during WWII when there was scarcity. It was basically a lard product that was pure white and came with a little packet of yellow coloring that you mixed into it before using. Margarine has never been a safe product because it is made with hydrogenated fats, which will clog your arteries much faster than the natural product itself. Besides, life is short, why eat fake butter when you can have the real thing?