Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about handcycles and quads...

question about handcycles and quads...

How do quads use brakes on handcycles? i have strong arms..strong wrists but virtually no dexterity in my hands. i want one...not if i can't stop it though..lol.

I've wondered the same thing. The old tuck'n'roll maneuver just doesn't sound appealing.

The front hub isw a coaster type brake.. Pedal backwards to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    that works...is that all? do they have anything that you can push instead of pulling?

bike-on.com does mods for quads. this brake has a foam covered handle you can push against.
    Last edited by JoeyMearig; 06-04-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    you would have to buy a hub specifically with a coaster brake for that to be a reality.
    Talk to the guys at Bike-on Joey referenced. I have saw pictures of some ingenius set-ups that they have made. Even one with the brake behind your head, tilt and push your head to slow/stop. Your imagination is the limit. But I will tell you to not waste time with a 7 speed, you need a much wider gear range than that, especially with hills or mountains.

Spend some time searching the web, the european sites have many more riders than here in the US and a great many quads ride and compete. I used to have a lot of bookmarks for just such an occasion, but alas, no more. There are many sites with oodles of pictures of races/racers and their bikes. You can see how they have them set up. It will give you a much better idea than just looking at US bikes in sales pictures.

here is a site to start checking for interesting links, there will be a bunch of duds, but search thru them
    http://www.bikesutra.com/handcycling.html

this is a page with marathon pics it will keep ya busy all day, lol
    http://www.handbike.de/hct/berichte.php

here is an example page of pics from this bunch
    http://www.handbike.de/hct/archiv/20...im08/index.php

Start getting ready to have fun and get real exercise again.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 06-05-2008 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyMearig
    bike-on.com does mods for quads. this brake has a foam covered handle you can push against.
    cool.

what'd they do for your setup?

Cap'n...... My rehab has them.. THE top End Excelerator has it stock, as well as a few other.

So theu're out there, just your shnaaazy type don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    cool.

what'd they do for your setup?
    I just have a regular brake on one of my handles. I have enough function in my right hand to pull the brake. I also have a brake mounted to the seat on the left. Most quads should be able to pull/push this one. (similar motion to stopping with your handrim).

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp

But I will tell you to not waste time with a 7 speed, you need a much wider gear range than that, especially with hills or mountains.
    If you want a coaster brake (pedal backward to brake), you can get the mountain drive option ($$) which doubles the 7 speed. I have tried a 7-speed and been VERY slow. I haven't tried the mountain drive.

One warning about coaster brake: I have a hard time starting my pedal stroke from certain positions, especially on hills. Without a coaster brake, I can pedal backward in place until the cranks are in a position that is easier to start from. (Remember biking as a kid, the pedal had to be in just the right place or you'd fall over).

With a coaster brake this is not an option

www.teamhybrid.co.uk make a quad brake, which i think is a sort of bar going between hand grips that you hit with your wrists to activate... not sure how it works, or if it also acts as a parking brake. anyway, therere some photos on the website.